SIXTY-SEVEN

You

On the way back, it started to rain, so our drive wasn't completely silent. I tilted my head to look at Connor's hand resting on mine and then at him. Sighing while admiring him, I leaned back so my head tiredly hit the headrest.

"Whatcha lookin' at?" Connor asked with a raised eyebrow. We had stopped at a red light. After another one, we would be in my neighborhood.

Blinking, I snapped out of my gaze. "You," I told him innocently.

"Yea, I kinda got that part," A small chuckle escaped him as he bit his inner cheek. His thumb caressed my hand as his eyes returned to the road. "Why, though?"

Because you make me so fucking happy, dammit.

"Because," I hummed, not bothering to finish. I didn't mind messing with him.

"Goddammit, Y/N." Connor turned a corner with a hint of a smile on his face. I adjusted my head so now I was viewing the raindrops out the window as it softly dropped on the glass, making sure to appreciate it before it became violent.

Right before my eyelids felt heavy, Connor pulled into the parking lot of my house. "We're here." He kept his voice low, as to not break the fragile silence. "I'll take you to the place tomorrow, kay?"

Feeling the key in my pocket, I grinned. "It's technically already 'tomorrow' since it's like, 3:00 in the morning."

"You know what I mean," He sighed before leaning in, attaching his lips to mine. My heart pounded through my chest with every second I kissed back before Connor pulled away. He looked through the window cautiously.

"What's up?" I asked.

"You're dad's not watching, right?"

"No, he isn't. Don't worry about it." Another chuckle escaped my lips. "Really, you're fine."

"I'm just making sure," Connor quietly laughed, almost embarrassed. At least I assumed so. "Like, I know he doesn't have a problem with me, but he's a dad and y'know, he's gotta watch over you and stuff and be cautious. Stuff like that."

"No, I get it," I told him, shifting my gaze from him to the raindrop covered window. "Actually, I don't think he's here right now. I don't see his car and the lights are off..."

"Oh,"

"I should uh, probably get going," I said quietly. "Looking forward to later."

"Right," Connor nodded, unlocking the car. He gave me one of his warm smiles before I exited. "I'll see you."

With a click, the car unlocked and I stepped out, racing to the front door before more rain hit my skin.

•••

That morning, I woke up to my dad calling me from downstairs and the sunlight streaming through my window. It must've been noon, if not close.

"Y/N, they're here!" Dad called again from the living room. The walls muffled his voice, and being half-asleep, I wouldn't be able to comprehend anything.

Then I realized that today was the day.

I sat up from my old, springy bed while rubbing the sleep from my eyes, adjusting to the light and smiling to myself.

"Y/N!"

"Yep, I'm- I'll be down," Still in my pajamas, I hopped up from my springy bed and made my way downstairs. I stopped in my tracks when I saw another person near the front entrance, not expecting them at all.

"Oh my god," My fingers went to my temples as I met eyes with Jared Kleinman himself. I never thought he'd stop by, let alone with Connor. A small moving truck was in the driveway.

I let out a tired sigh, but I wasn't annoyed. I actually started laughing slightly as he extended his arms like he was the star of some kind of show. "Ya miss me?" Jared said as he strutted through the entrance.

I raised an eyebrow. Was he expecting a hug? "Sure," I snorted as I quickly embraced him. "How are you?"

"Doing pretty well. Connor let us know about the news so I offered to help."

"Wait, you actually wanna help for once?" I asked jokingly. Well, not fully.

Connor entered the house, followed by his sister, who greeted me with a long-time-no-see smile.

"I'm still surprised myself," Connor sighed, his hand hanging loosely from his jean pocket. He glanced at Zoe. "Oh yea, this thing's helping too."

"I mean, it makes things easier." I clasped my hands together. "Alright, let's get to it! Dad said he'd be helping later since he's making food. I'll just change later too because these are very comfortable." I tugged on my pajamas.

So we got to work, one box after the other into the small moving truck. All the while, the four of us caught up on life in general. After an hour, we took a break for lunch.

"So what time did you guys get here?" I asked as Zoe helped me carry another box.

"Like a couple of minutes before you came downstairs," She explained, setting the stuff down.

"Oh, hopefully you didn't wait too long."

"It's fine, I just figured you guys would need the help since moving takes a while. We would know." Zoe chuckled,

Once we were finished packing up, I rushed upstairs ready and change. I took one last look at my bedroom and at the window where the ladder would lean underneath it.
For a moment, it seemed like every moment I could remember replayed in my head, both good and bad.

"You ready?" A voice asked, not intending to break the expansion of silence. I turned around and saw Connor. "Shit, sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No, you're okay," I told him as I glanced around the room again. "I just wanna spend some short time here before we leave."

"I get it," He leaned against the doorframe, looking around as well. He tilted his head. "Wasn't I here for the first time when we were assigned that one project?"

"Yep!" I smiled at the memory. "And I told you to sneak up the ladder and through the window on prom night." I pointed to the window.

That was a fun time.

Connor scratched the back of his head. "I- Y/N,"

"What's up?" I turned to him. Uncertainty hung around him, if not just plain anxiety. "You alright?"

"No, I mean, I am, really," Connor let out an airy chuckle, "I just, I know that this whole moving in together thing is sudden, and now that I think about it, it's like super fast. Especially since you got back from college yesterday. I know it's rushed, but I hope that you're fine with where things are going."

Connor's head hung slightly as he finished, but rose up again when I laced my fingers with his. "Yea, I agree. It's a big step and it's a lot," I admitted as he slowly made eye contact with me. "But hey, for the most part, where we're going is good. Both literally and figuratively."

Connor chuckled. "I'm just glad you're cool with this," He pushed back his hair before sighing. "I'm still getting used to actually having things go well."

"Tell me about it," I grinned as I looked around the room one more time. Finding the doorknob, I shut my door after stepping out into the hallway.
My hand found it's way into his. "Let's go."