FIFTY-NINE

You

•••

Connor- your dad's right

Connor- you're not that slick

I was expecting most of my phone notifications to be from the group chat or from social media updates, and for the most part, and they were.

I wanted to know what Connor's reaction was, but I had to leave early. Dad probably had enough on his mind, so I decided not to make today similar to what happened after we came back from the pool.

Me- i wasn't trying to be slick

Me- did you like it?

Connor- it's okay i guess

"Goddammit," I shook my head but wore a smile as I began to speed walk back home. My phone buzzed one more time before I arrived at my house.

Connor- thanks

Connor- and saying my handwriting was better than yours was bullshit yours isn't that bad wtf

The car wasn't parked in the driveway which meant Dad had to work late. With my eyes on my phone, I unlocked the door with my own key and nearly tripped upon entering.

Luckily, my dad wasn't here to call me out on staring at my phone while walking.

My thumb must've slipped as I typed a reply though. And it hit send.
I could already hear his teasing voice giving me shit.

Me- i skgsksop k

Me- WAIT

Connor- okay your texting might need some work

Me- shut up i tripped :(

After dropping my stuff off at the bottom of the stairs, I traveled to the fridge, dug our whatever was left from last night's dinner and ate.

I had planned on picking up a tub of ice cream again from work, but I was so focused on getting my apron untied and turning in my uniform that I forgot. I apparently made the mistake of double knotting the thick fabric string.

So there was my last chance of free ice cream...

When I got up to my room, I set my stuff down near my desk just as my phone violently buzzed. It was resting on the table, so I nearly jumped out of my own body when it rang.

I answered the video call coming from the group chat.

In one icon, Zoe and Connor were sitting next to each other. In another, there was Michael and Jeremy (who must've been added just recently) and there were two others with Alana and Jared.

"What's going on?" I asked as I sat down at the desk. "Did you kick Gianna off the chat?"

"Yea, because we're planning a surprise party. We were just talking about it."
Jared explained, pushing his glasses up.

"I think it should be at that one pool that's close to the school," Alana suggested with a click of her pen. She seemed to be looking down at some kind of planning paper. She was taking this seriously.

Not that the rest of us weren't, of course. I just didn't think anyone was expecting some sort of checklist or whatever she had.

Connor's eye's shifted to me and I smirked and returned the look. Our small, mentally photographed memories of what happened just months ago came flooding back to us.