SIXTY-FIVE

You

That evening, my father and I were just as jet-lagged as everyone else when we stumbled out of the boarding tunnel. When I found out he flew over for my graduation ceremony, I was ecstatic. I guess I was so caught up in whatever I forgot that people actually knew. And cared.

So he accompanied me on the way back home. Now here I was, sleep deprived, jet-lagged, and loopy at an airport. But I was home.

He assisted me in getting my other items from baggage claim before we headed out of the gate and near the airport entrance. I rubbed my eyes as Dad followed behind me and set some of my items down on the chairs. It didn't take long for my two suitcases to feel like rock-filled sacks.

"I'm gonna use the restroom real quick," I told him.

Dad draped his wrist on the suitcase handle. "Alright," he shrugged, "I'll just go once you come back."

I nodded and went off. Shortly pausing, I nearly scared myself when I looked in the mirror when I went to wash my hands. I'm pretty sure people noticed.

Uneven hair, slight bags under the eyes from the not surprisingly sleepless nights at university-- everything.

Around me, people knew what they were doing. And they probably knew what they were going to do in the near future. I had one of these similar thoughts in my dorm during one of the said sleepless nights.

Once I finished, I returned to the waiting area and Dad was getting ready to head to the restroom himself.

I lazily took out my phone from my bag and hit the power button. Disappointed—but not too surprised—when it didn't turn on, I sighed.

Portable chargers are a thing, goddammit, I cursed at myself.

"Dad, what time is it?" I asked him before he walked off.

He looked around before his eyes landed on something farther away. 

"There's a clock right there," Pointing somewhere with a tilted head, my Dad made his way to the restrooms.
Was he trying to hide some sort of smile? What was it, 4:20?

My thumb and finger went to the bridge of my nose. I tried not to be cranky, but I just got off a tiring flight from another state. I closed my eyes, exhausted while I let out another sharp exhale.

I spun around to where he pointed, muttering to no one in particular, "You could've just told me the--"

A breath caught in my throat when I saw him. Taller, more mature, a new haircut.

No matter what changed, he was still him. He was still Connor Murphy.

"...time," I held my breath when my eyes stopped on him.

It's been a while.

The digital clock hanging above read a quarter after 5. When I saw him, I didn't bother hiding my wide grin. There was no way in hell it'd be possible.

I didn't forget you.

Connor donned his typical black shirt with a rough, unzipped sweater. What caught me a little off-guard was his haircut. Still, he was handsome as ever. Connor Murphy was now an adult, but his eyes lit up like a child's.

To everyone else, I seemed reckless; an impetuous girl who returned from college looking forward to being home. Right there, I told myself that I was allowed to be that girl. It didn't matter if people thought that or not because I ran.

Closer and closer, his beautiful smile was so much more visible it made my cheeks hurt.

No words needed to be said aloud. I nearly knocked him over as I threw my arms around him in a crushing embrace, as if I couldn't hug him enough. I felt more and more warmth as he lovingly pulled me closer.