THIRTY

Connor

I breathed out through my nose as I threw the cigarette down on the playground concrete, tiredly stomping on it afterward. My chest tightened as Y/N's explained she wasn't moving in the voicemail she recorded. As it came to an end, I walked to one of the lonely benches and sat down. I looked around and heard a soft voice behind me.

"Hey," Y/N greeted as I jumped slightly.

Speak of the devil.

"Hi." I gulped.

"Can I sit?"

I shrugged and motioned to the space next to me. "I can't stop you."

Y/N awkwardly took her seat. At first, I wondered why she was up and walking around at 2:30 on a Sunday, but then I noticed the Á La Mode uniform shirt that fit her like a glove.

Desperate to break the silence, I blurted out, "You're so fucking weird, Y/N."

She dropped her hand on her lap and met my gaze, "What?"

I cross my arms, "Who puts 'Dear so-and-so' at the beginning of a voicemail?"

Y/N stared at me, and then a small chuckle escaped her lips. "I don't know, but I do know that I'm pretty weird," she shrugged as she crossed her arms.

"You and me both," I scoff. "I'm a fucking freak."

The question that's been eating at me made her go silent.
"Have you seen the uhm, video?"

Y/N hesitantly nodded and instantly sat up straighter, "Yea, and I don't know why it's a big fucking deal," she threw her arms up in frustration and they fell back down as she grew more irritated by the second. I couldn't blame her.

I glanced back down at my lighter that still had my fingers wrapped around it. "You're cute when you're angry."

"You're not so different yourself." She shot back. I could feel my cheeks heating up already.

"Okay, so," Y/N began as she kicked at the mulch, "Listen, this whole thing about the video, Derek," she hesitated, "My, um, m-mom, we can just forget about all of it. You know how I said that I don't care about all that? I meant it, I really don't. I don't need reminders of all of this."

I sighed, "I know you said that I just.. When you did say that at the bus stop, I totally flipped my shit and you.. You fucking forgave me. I don't know why or how or whatever, but you did."

"Because then we can just forget about all this, Connor," she explained, "What we've got going is good, right?"

What we've got going is absolutely amazing...

"I guess,"

"You guess?" She smirked.

Biting lip, I smiled slightly but still kept my head down. "I know."

"So stop thinking you're not enough or whatever," she said softly, her soothing voice like a lullaby. "You're more than enough for me Connor, and that's all that matters. We can just focus on us."

"It's just that if I hadn't talked to your mom or even bought drugs from her this wouldn't have fucking happened. I could've done something, you know?" I shook my head, still doubting everything.

"Well, what came before won't matter. None of it counts." Y/N breathed out as she extended her arm. "What do you say?"

I took her warm hand tightly and scooted closer, small smiles now on both our faces. "I just, I never thought there'd be someone like you who would even go near me, let alone want to date me."

"Well, I wish you could see what I see, Con, I love you for you."

I chuckled, "You know how you wrote all those reasons in the book?" Y/N instantly nodded. "First of all, how?"

She giggled and rested her forehead on my shoulder, "I'd give you more reasons to not let me go, Y/N." I said.

I kissed her hand that was still intertwined with mine. Y/N nuzzled her nose into the crook of my neck. "You and me, Connor?" Her breath hitched as I wrapped my arms around her. She really saw me, and that's something I didn't know I wanted for so long.

"Yea," I said, my voice now low and soft, "Only us."

•••

I offered to give Y/N a ride to work. She insisted that I didn't have to, but I reminded her of what happened days ago.

"Y/N, did you even check the weather today?"

"Yes!"

I raised an eyebrow as she pursed her lips. "Oh alright."

A couple hours into her shift, Y/N and another person she was working with glanced at the clock once again. I sat in one of the tables nearest to the light gray counter and laid my eyes on the clock again.

"Hey Y/N-" I said as I picked at my nail polish.

She interrupted while opening the ice cream display. "Cookie dough ice cream with extra hot fudge and two cherries."

I stopped and looked over to her, shocked. A proud smirk was painted on her face. "How.. you still remember? How did you know I was gonna order?"

Y/N shrugged and took a clean ice cream scoop. "You had to order sometime."

Pulling out my wallet, I sighed and asked "How much?"

A plastic ice cream bowl with my order slid swiftly from the other side of the counter. "3.99." Y/N looked around and leaned over and whispered, "I would give it to you for free but, I'm working with a tattle-tail here, and I'll get fired," she slightly cocked her head over to another oblivious employee. I nodded as I handed over some money.

More time passed as customers filed in and out and the smell of hot fudge started to fill up the store. The other employee grabbed the keys and looked over at Y/N. "You can go."

Y/N looked up from the cashier, surprised, "What?"

"Go have fun with your boyfriend, I can lock up." They said in a bored voice

"Are you sure?"

"Come on, go before I change my mind," they smiled as they locked up the ice cream freezer.

"Oh, okay! Thanks," Y/N said happily before going around the counter.

I quickly stood up as she took my hand, "You ready?"

"Yea, but for what?" she asked curiously as we walked out the door.

"I dunno, to do some crazy shit."

"Like break into a pool or rob a bank?"

Biting my lip to hide a grin, I reply, "Sure."

A/N- me? putting "only us" references in chapters? it's more likely than you think.

honestly with all the angst that's been going on you guys deserve this.

hope you enjoyed this one :3