TWENTY-SIX

Connor

TW: drug mention

6th grade

Mom dropped the phone after she heard the dial tone. She called my name and sat me down at the table. I kept my eyes glued to the wood. "Connor, we've been getting calls from your school saying you've been smelling like cigarettes and smoke." Even though I couldn't see her, I could feel her uneasiness. It doesn't matter, though, I never cared.

"Just tell me, are you hanging out with anyone who maybe smokes?" It was like Mom was trying her hardest to keep her poise. I could tell she didn't want to believe that her perfect little Connor Murphy was smoking.

Parts of my hair covered my vision, allowing me to look down. "I don't fucking hang out with people like that."

"Connor, what did I say about language?" her tone was calm. Shaky, but calm.

"I don't care!" I abruptly stood up, her eyes following me.

"Honey.."

"Did I stutter?!"

•••

The loud slam of my door was enough to make the room shake. I threw my brown messenger bag down in anger and a loud thump was what I heard from it. I probably shattered my phone or some shit, fantastic.

Running my hands through my hair, I sat on the edge of my bed. My hands shook as they ran through every strand. Something clawed at my throat, begging me to scream, but I couldn't.

I wiped the tears that were racing down my face as I heard the knock at the door. "Connor..?" It was my dad, who seemed to have a surprisingly concerned tone.

"I'm busy," I simply stated as I got up and rummaged through my bag.

"Hi Busy, I'm Dad. Now open up."

"Oh my god, do you not see the fucking 'Stay Out' sign on the door?"

When I pulled out my phone, the screen was slightly cracked on the bottom left area. It still worked, so I didn't think about getting it fixed.

The doorknob wiggled a bit on the door, and it swung open. Dad stepped in and scanned my room before giving me an odd look. "I heard noises, what the hell is up? My god, your room is a mess."

My voice shook, "How did you.."

He held up a bobby pin proudly. I looked back down awkwardly as he said, "I guess it runs through the men of the family."

Why the fuck are you in here?

I went back to working on my bag, awkwardly adjusting the pins. "What the hell is going on, Connor? I heard noises."

"Nothing is up," I hissed as I got up again and walked around him. Dad, sighing, followed me downstairs.

"Hey, listen," He began as he crossed his arms, expecting me to pay attention to him, "I'm going out. There's a phone place down the street and I can take yours and get it fixed."

"No," I snapped back.

"You can scratch yourself with the screen,"

"DOES IT REALLY MATTER!?" Hitting the refrigerator with the side of my balled up fist, my breathing quickened. Dad gave up, exhaled, from his nose, and shut the front door after he left. It was like nothing ever happened.

Zoe came rushing down the carpeted stairs, her hair bouncing behind her. "What the crap is going on?" She asked as one earbud fell out of her ear.

"Nothing," I quickly said, sitting at the table and putting my head down. "Just go."

"You and Dad were yelling, what happened?"

"It's none of your business," I lifted my head to meet her almost worried face. Zoe stepped closer, gripping her phone in one hand and shoving the other in a loose sweater pocket.

"But-"

"Leave me alone, Zoe!"

She began to say something else, but I gave her a look that warned and begged her not to. Her mouth opened anyway.

"Do you wanna talk?" Zoe asked, hesitating a bit. She took out her other earbud and loosened the grip on her phone.

My head was still down, so she couldn't see my eyes widening. Zoe never offered to ask to talk about anything these past years. My mouth stayed shut and I kept my eyes on my cracked phone screen. My sister let out a tired and airy sigh as she began to walk upstairs, not questioning anything else. Once she left, I raced back upstairs, dug through my bag, and pulled out a small bag with little green patches lining the bottom.

When I turned around, Zoe stood at the door frame. "Connor, is that..?"

"Tell Mom or Dad or else," I threaten while pointing a finger at her.

All she did was cock an eyebrow, showing no sign of fear. Instead, she looked worried and concerned. "This better not be about me," I say. Zoe's expression was already enough for a reply.

Shit, I guess it is about me.

A/N: okayokayokayokayokayokay connor went through a lot and  i just wanted to add some sibling support from zoe and a small dad joke

wow connor looks down a lot in this

freakin derek man (he's not really developed and idk if i wanna develop him through the story or not)

hope you enjoy this angsty chapter :,-)