FORTY-FOUR

Connor

The rest of my family was most likely already asleep. Hopefully no one would come down and interrogate me like I was just convicted of theft.

I was too tired for that shit too.

After I kicked off my shoes at the entrance, I ran my fingers through my hair as I wobbled over to the kitchen. I squinted as the fridge light lit up and I grabbed a drink. Though through my squinting, my eyes caught something on the counter beside it.

I shut the fridge and quickly flipped the light on. I picked up the letter and my hands shook even more when I read the front.

How the hell...?

I grabbed the letter and water before I quietly raced upstairs. I dropped them both on my shelf next to my bed.

That's not fucking possible, I thought to myself. I'm dreaming. There is absolutely no way...

In the morning when I got ready and made my way downstairs to the kitchen, Mom greeted me with a wide smile. Dad was already packed up for work, and when he met my eyes he gave me an approving look.

Honestly, this might be the only time it'll be like this.

"You saw it?" My sister asked behind me. I spun around and she shook her head. "Why do you look so confused?"

"It's too fucking early for questions," I sighed as I stuffed the letter in my bag and took a swig of milk from the carton.

"Connor, you didn't open it?" Mom said, looking at me before returning to cooking. She was probably making those pancakes again.

"I'm just gonna go." I hastily said as I stepped out.

I guess it was real.

I laughed to myself, mostly out of shock. Alrighty, I thought to myself again, I guess this is happening.

•••

"Y/N, seriously, you really need to start warning me before you do things like that-"

"Shut up!" She lifted her head off my shoulder after tackling me in a hug. My arm still draped over her shoulders. "Dude, you got accepted into college! That's a pretty big fucking deal!"

"Wish it was Hogwarts, though." I grunted as we sat back up. Y/N had the same expression as the rest of my family. "What?" I smiled slightly.

"What do you mean 'what'?"

"Your smile looks like it's gonna stretch out too much."

"I think it's because I'm.. Oh I dunno," She blew a strand of hair away from her face, looking like she was concentrating. "Y'know what? It's probably because I'm really fucking happy for you."

"How odd." I shrugged, staring at the letter and chucking softly. "I remember you saying that if we're dating..."

She finished that for me. "You're gonna have to be dealing with stuff like that. With all the tackling and being proud and everything."

We both nodded as we stood up, grabbing our stuffed bags and brushing ourselves off.

"You tell your dad about this weekend?" I asked when we stepped inside the building.

Her eyes widened. "Shit.." she groaned, "After last night, he probably won't even let me leave my bedroom. I guess I'll just ask today."

I nodded, pulling my phone. My heart nearly leapt out of my body when a group of students stumbled around us. The phone didn't even have a case and there was absolutely no fucking way I was breaking it again.

I looked back at the group of juniors "Geez, watch it.." He mumbled.

I heard Y/N scoff, almost annoyed. "Most people probably think we're insane for not being as excited."

"Probably because a lot of the seniors just don't give a shit anymore. They want out, and so do we."

I know for a fact that's true.

As we both leaned in front of some of the lockers watching everything around us, Y/N said, "I think I'm just gonna miss our spot. It sounds extremely stupid, I know," she chuckled a bit nervously, scratching the back of her neck. "But I'm glad we found it."

I felt my cheeks flush as I turned to her, raising an eyebrow. "We..?" I asked, confused. "Weren't you the one who found out about it?

She sighed, shrugging as the hall began to seem a lot bigger as people slowly started leaving. "Well, I did sorta 'discover' it in freshmen year," she made exaggerated quotation marks with her fingers. "But Connor, you're the only one I've ever said anything about it to, and I'm so fucking glad I did. It's kinda like how I told you about the window in my room. So that's our spot. It's kinda weird how people never noticed it, though. The door leading to it is just over there."
Y/N pointed her head towards where the door was.

The corners of my lip raised. As the reckless students in the hall began to clear out like clouds in the sky, Y/N and I looked at each other. Somehow, we saw each other in a new and amazing light.

Our hands clasped as we began to walk again. "C'mon, lets graduate."

•••

The day after graduation

As the car holding Y/N and her dad began to pull in to the driveway, my mom hurried into the open garage where Zoe and I were packing up. "You two have all your stuff, right? You got your suitcases and backpacks?"

"I'm pretty sure we do," Zoe said, acting like she's said it a hundred times. Honestly, she and I both probably did. Mom had been looking through our stuff like airport security.

Soon after, Evan walked into the garage followed by Dad. He glanced around and then looked at us, a bit uneasy. Zoe smiled and went over to talk to him. The cast that once wrapped around his left forearm was now off.

Y/N gripped her bag and suitcase as she raced-walked up towards us.
"Finally asked him about it."

"Well obviously. You're here now." I said in a sarcastic tone as I helped her with her suitcase. "You texted me. You're not grounded?"

"Oh shut up." Y/N paused, playfully punching me after stuffing her backpack in the trunk. "I gotta use your bathroom real quick."

Her dad walked over and brought over another small bag. "Told you. You should've went before." He explained, plopping the bag in her hands.

Her eyes widened hilariously as she held up one finger. "Shhhhhhh, don't call me out, I'm already doing that." She then rushed into the house, most likely knowing it by heart already.

My parents went over to talk to her father and soon after, she walked out with a sigh of relief.

Mom turned back to us. "Y/N, if you need anything just ask Connor and Zoe, okay?"

"Mom, she's not six." I said.

Dad shot his head up and eyed me. "Connor."

Sighing, I twisted my ring as my mom explained other things to Y/N and Evan. Sure, I had an impatient urge to hurry them up so we wouldn't have to deal with the heat, but there was no way I was gonna start some kind of verbal rumble.

"Thanks for taking me with ya." Y/N giggled after thanking my mom with Evan. She had left back inside the house along with my dad, who was taking us.

"Who else would I invite?" I asked, grinning a little as I slid my boot back and forth before our lips softly touched in a nice kiss.

Not even a split second later our eyes shot open, noticing Y/N's father.

A/N: yeA i know, big graduation time skip and stuff.
i just felt like the graduation would just be normal and uneventful but i wanted to leave it up to you guys to decide on what happened.
i just wanted to get to this part of the story heheheheh

soooOooOoo hope you enjoyed this chapter :))