FIFTY-ONE

You

The annoying school bell rang, signaling the end of my last class. My eyes shifted from the digital clock above the door to the books on my desk as people began to leave.

I need to start leaving some stuff in my locker instead, I thought.

Shuffling and trying to gather my stuff as two of my class novels fell to the floor, a tall and familiar guy walked up behind me.

I ignored him, but I awaited some kind of comment like "clutz" or "ugly-ass mess." Or something along the lines of that.

"Woah, need help there?" the guy spoke behind me. When I quickly glanced up at him, I met his eyes for a small second. They were kind, surprisingly.

He looked at everyone like that, right?

I recognized him too. We went were in the same second grade class. If I remember correctly, he almost got hit with a printer.
He's sure grown and matured a lot, I noticed.

"Here," Derek leaned over and picked up my books and pencil that I had dropped. "You should take it easy and leave some stuff in-"

"My locker, I know." I sighed, cut him off and smiled, embarrassed. We rushed out of the classroom when it was almost halfway full with it's homeroom students.

"So uh, the Mixer's coming up and stuff."

"Yep," I swung my locker open as he stayed by my side. His hands hung loosely from his pockets as he stood somewhat confidently. "It's in about a week."

"Yea," Derek let out an airy chuckle. "So do you wanna... maybe..."

Wait-

My eyes widened, and I'm pretty sure I nearly lost a grip on a notebook. "Holy shit, why?"

The name 'Connor' lingered in my mind. What if he's busy? He doesn't like this stuff, right? Should I wait and see?

Why the fuck is Derek asking me?

He looked a bit hurt from the way I said it and I bit my lip. "I- I mean, it's not a bad thing. I'm honestly just wondering why you're asking me." There was a pause, "Yea, why?" I chuckled at the end, silently begging for him to answer.

But he just did a half-shrug and smiled. "You seem cool and I wanna get to uh, know you and stuff."

Jumping out of a small daze as my phone vibrated in my pocket, I raised my shoulders up and put on a small smile. "I don't see why not."

At the end of the day, we both agreed it was a date. When he left, I laughed at the silly word. Outside, I took out my phone and eyed the first name in my contact.

Me: CONNOR

Me: DUDE

Me: GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED

•••

(tw: catcalling)

Zoe raised an eyebrow as we stopped at a pedestrian light, the light signaling cars to keep moving. Earlier, we had gotten our nails done and we were on our way to go shopping and get food.

"Bug spray?" She asked after Connor hung up.

"No, Oxyclean. It gets the tough stains out." I replied sarcastically with a smirk. "Yes, bug spray."