TWENTY-ONE

You

Dad: I'm working late again and I might not be home until after 5 or 6

Me: ok

Connor nodded as I held my phone in front of him. "So yea, you can come over," I explained as I took my phone back. The both of us decided to hang out in the small sitting area right by the food stand at the movie theater. Connor took another sip of his slushie.

"Does he know?" he asked as he furrowed his eyebrows, keeping his eyes on his drink. "I mean, about.. us?" I shook my head.

"Hey," I took his hand, grabbing his attention and making him look up. "You've met my dad, he's pretty chill, right?"

Connor slumped, "What if he doesn't want me to be with you?"

"He's not gonna think that.."

"Well what if he does?" he sat up a bit and lifted his head. "He's gonna hate me."

I rested my chin on my other hand. "My dad is not gonna hate you. Like I said, you've met him before. He doesn't hate you."

"What if he hates you for being with me?"

"Connor!" I startled him but I kept my voice low, even though no one was around. "Even if he did, I'm still gonna stick by your side like glue. My dad can make me date the son of a doctor and he can say what he wants, but I'm still gonna choose you!"

Connor looked to the side and said nothing, but then he looked back at me. "You're so stubborn."

"I know," I chuckle, earning a small grin from him. "How the hell did you end up with me?"

Connor stood up, "I should be asking you that." He held out his hand and I stood up, not hesitating to grab it.

We left the theater the same way we entered it: Hand in hand.

•••

My back was starting to ache as I struggled with picking the lock on the front door. I could tell Connor was starting to get a little impatient. "Just use the key." He groaned but tried to cover it with a laugh. "You can try it next time."

"Nope. I'm doing this now and I'm gonna do it right." I said as I squinted at the lock. I was determined to pick this lock with only a bobby-pin, and I was not backing down.

After a couple of unsuccessful tries, Connor finally said: "Oh my god just use the fucking key-"

The door unlocked and I swung it open as I turned to Connor with a smug look. "You were saying?" I asked sassily. He just stood there, probably shocked, before biting his lip and stepping inside. I followed him after taking back the bobby pin.

Connor, who was for some reason clearly irritated, plopped himself down on the living room couch. "Hey, what's up?" I asked as I sat next to him, "Is everything okay?"

He turned to me and sighed, "It's nothing much really, it's just that my family has to go skiing with the Harrises." He's talked about the Harrises before, and all he ever said was that they were neighbors and family friends.

"Your neighbors?" I asked. Connor nodded and leaned back. "Aren't they nice?"

"Sure," He shrugged, "They mean well and all that crap, but they're also pretty annoying. You've never met them, so you wouldn't know, but sometimes they make you want to jump off a bridge."

I couldn't help but giggle. "I know you're not related to them, but they sound like those annoying relatives at family reunions."

Connor's eyes widened, "I've always thought of them like that!"