EIGHTEEN

Connor

The playground was obviously empty, and the only noise that filled it was
Y/N's voice along with mine. It was also pretty clear we were both sleep deprived, especially Y/N since she was sick. Quickly, I checked the time.

"It's 4:00." I stated after checking the time on my phone. Y/N coughed and sighed over the line.

"My throat is killing me." She said, "I still don't know why you would call me because my voice is literal trash."

"I beg to differ."

"Shut up." she giggled. A small smirk grew on my face, and I was suddenly smiling like an idiot before I knew it.

"Goddammit, I love you." I said under my breath, hoping she wouldn't hear.

Her voice was perky now, so she definitely heard part of it, or maybe all of it. "What?"

I gripped the chain from the swing. "Nothing! I didn't say anything."

Y/N coughed and tried to speak. "No, wait Connor-"

I tried to change the subject. "You sound pretty sick, Y/N. You should rest."

"Don't give me that shit." she laughed and then coughed again.

Snowflakes fell and landed on the gloves on my hands. Besides my phone, the moon was the only light shining, and the air felt cold but fresh. "It's nice out. It's cold as fuck, but nice."

"I bet"

"I wish you were here." I admitted.

"I would be coughing up a storm."

My phone signaled that I was on pretty low battery. "Y/N, I need to go." I sighed and then smiled, loosening my grip on the swing. 

"Feel better." I say standing up.

"Don't tell me what to do." She joked. "Bye Connor!"

After I hung up, I started my walk home. I entered my house and quickly took my scarf and jacket off before going upstairs to my room. Actually, I would've gotten to my room if I wasn't stopped. "Young man, where were you!?" My dad whispered loudly. He crossed his arms. "It's 4 in the morning and I heard the door open."

"I'm aware of the time." I said, exasperated. My dad sighed and leaned on his shoulder against the wall.

"You need to be asleep." He said as he adjusted his bathrobe.

I scoffed. "At this time? I don't think so. Why are you up, anyway?"

His bedroom door opened and out came Mom who was rubbing her eyes. "What are you two doing up?" she asked. "Come back to bed Larry."

"Connor just came home, Cynthia. It is 4 in the morning."

Zoe's door opened this time. The hall was dark but I could see her birds nest hair. "Can you guys keep it down?"

"Connor, would you like to explain yourself? Why are you coming home this late?"

"Just go back to sleep, Zo." Mom yawned. "You two as well." She pointed at both of us.

"Don't even bother, Dad. Connor's probably high. He's not even listening."  Zoe said in a matter-of-fact voice. I shot her a threatening glare but I doubt she saw it.

"Oh I'm listening." I almost screamed. "I was just at the park talking with a friend." I turned to Zoe. "Not a drug dealer, a friend. Stay out of my fucking business."

"Connor!" My mom eyed me as if I just offended her great ancestor. I groaned as I slammed my bedroom door without saying anything else.

Eventually, Mom, Dad, and Zoe went back to bed. I kicked off my boots I forgot to take off and plopped on my bed. Before I knew it, morning came and I woke up to utensils clinking downstairs.

After changing into a fresh and more comfortable set of clothes, I made my way downstairs and met my parents there. They got more hours of sleep but they still looked like hell.

It took all my being not to laugh at Zoe's hair.

"Don't. Fucking. Finish, The. Milk." Zoe said with her teeth clenched. "Or else." She lazily took the carton and poured milk into the empty bowl, before the cereal to be specific.

I guess she didn't get more hours of sleep, or maybe she woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Probably both.

"Larry, that is your third cup." Mom said as he stood up and waddled over to the coffee machine.

"Well, I need to drink something before my fourth."

"Mom? Do we have cereal?"

This led to bickering, and eventually to arguing over who knows what. It was a bit shocking since this is an argument I wasn't a part of. Fine by me.

I took an apple before leaving and ran out. They called after me like I was some kind of thief who stole bread. "You took the last apple!" Was probably what Zoe said. I laughed as I took a bite while walking through the cold air.

A/N: another boring chapter where literally notHING HAPPENED IM SORRY.
writers block is just really getting to me wow

also this is shorter than usual? i usually go for word counts between 700-1000+ and this is just around the 800 :/

so hope you enjoyed!