THREE

You

"Dad?" I called out as I entered my house. "I'm home!" There was no response. He's probably working late again, I thought.

After I dropped my backpack on the wooden floor, I made a beeline for the fridge. When I opened it, I silently rejoiced.

Leftovers

After happily indulging last night's take-out, I heard the garage door open. Seconds later, my dad walked through the door. "Hey, sorry I'm late."

"I remembered the food." I said, holding up the leftovers. He chuckled lightly.

"Of course you did." He set his work stuff down before joining me at the table. "How was school?" he asked.

Shrugging, I replied, "Not too bad. Just normal first day of school stuff."
My dad helped himself to his own lunch. He brings food to work every day but it seems like he never has time to eat it.

"You know," he began, "I was driving back from work and I passed by the Murphy's residence."

My eyes widened, "And?"

"Well, through the window I saw the parents and their kids arguing. One hell of a family." He took a sip of his water after explaining.

"How did you know it was the Murphy's house?" I asked with a mouthful of food.

"I used to work with the father. I think his name was Larry..?"

There was a long pause. "Anyway, did you make some friends at school? It's your senior year, Y/N, four years have passed."

I looked up from my food. "I did actually," I replied. I told him about Connor and how we just seemed to get along a bit well.

"Isn't Connor one of the Murphy kids?" Dad asked. I nodded. I was waiting for him to say something like "don't trust that kid," but he just nodded. "It's good that you made a friend, sweetie." After eating, he got up, ruffled my hair, and went upstairs.

One hell of a family...

•••

Before going to my class, Zoe came up to me at my locker. Besides Connor, she might be the closest thing to a friend for me. She probably doesn't think the same. "Hey Zo." I greeted, "Need something?"

She fiddled with her blue sleeves. "Um, no, I just have a question. You were hanging out with my brother yesterday, right?"

"Connor? Yea, I just ate lunch with him." I didn't tell her about my spot at the side of the building.

She looked at me with worry. Why was she so concerned? I rolled my eyes, "Nothing bad is happening."

"But just tell me if something does. He can be weird sometimes and I swear he's a psychopath." Zoe told me. "We all got into and argument yesterday and he left the house infuriated. I thought he went to find you."

Thinking about what Dad had told me, I shrugged, "No, I didn't see him yesterday." I slammed my locker shut, making her flinch, and went off to find my next class.

The room wasn't full yet, just filled with a couple of other students. I made my way to one of the desks and sat down. It wasn't too long until students came filing in, one of them being Connor. He took a seat right next to me. I took one good look at him before asking, "Are you high?"

He chuckled, "I'm on cloud fucking nine."

"Nice to know." I replied sarcastically.

"Oh, and the spot probably smells like weed now. Just a heads up."

I gagged at the thought. "Out of all places, there?" All I got in reply was a shrug.

"Miss L/N, I expect you to be quiet!" The teacher yelled. I could feel her makeup covered eyes looking directly at me. When she continued with her lesson, I heard Connor snicker and I stuck my tongue out at him like an immature four year old.

•••

I quickly opened the door to the spot at the side of the building. Instead of the usual fresh, crisp air hitting my face, I got a waft of weed entering my nose. I gagged as I looked around and saw Connor, staring into space.

"Okay, you might be high and shit, but Mr. Kane assigned us as partners for a beginning of the year project, so we should work on that."

"Okay." He got up from his spot.

"So, how does your place sound?"  I asked. His face went from neutral to disgusted.

"I am not going back there. At least for today. And tomorrow. And forever." Connor sighed.

"What the fuck happened?" I asked. "Sorry, it's probably none of my business."

He sighed again, "No it's just.. I don't wanna be around my family right now. They're giant assholes that don't give a crap about me."

I couldn't relate. I definitely felt kinda bad for him.

"My place it is then. Also, I need your number so I can send you notes."

He raised his eyebrow, "I took my own notes."

"No you didn't." I said with a serious tone.

"Yea you're right. What's your number?"

We exchanged numbers quickly and went to exit the school. Hopefully, Connor wouldn't be as high as a kite by the time we got to my house.

"My dad's working late, so we can host a party." I explained as I opened the door.

"I don't think I wanna do that." My partner said as he threw his stuff down on the nearest platform.

"Me neither."

Annoying author's note: WoOWOWOWOOWwowoOooOO new chapter!!!!1!!1!!

I probably rushed the ending a little (a lot lmao) but you win some and you lose some.

Also these author's notes aren't mandatory to read, so you can literally just skip this. It's just gonna be my thoughts on what's going on and stuff.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!