FIFTY-SEVEN

You

At the moment, listening, asking "Are you okay?" an annoying amount of times, and even placing a flowery ice pack on Connor's shoulder seemed to be all I was good at.

When I heard the doubtful words tumble out of his mouth in between heartbreaking cries and staggering breaths as he broke, I wanted to do more. No, I felt like I needed to do more. I always did, even if it was enough.

But how much is more than enough?

I don't know how long we stood there. I didn't want to check the clock with the irritating red light and I didn't care what it said.

Connor Murphy, he was this and that. So many things but he thought of himself as so little. His voice and words echoed in my head once again.

"You're really determined to fix a broken piece of shit like me, huh?"

I already had the answer to my three-word question, I just needed to acknowledge it.

Connor slightly trembled and my heart ached. Slowly, I rubbed his back as he sobbed more, but they were softer. He didn't need me to say anything, at least I hope he didn't.
So I just held him tightly, being careful with his shoulder and allowing him to cry on mine. I didn't move, afraid that if I did he'd fall and break apart even more.

I whispered softly into his ear, not knowing if he was listening or not. I knew it wouldn't fix anything, but I prayed to the whole damn universe and more that he knew I was there.

As I rested my hand over his pale one on the counter, Connor shifted and slowly lifted his head. My glance traveled from his glossy, tear-filled eyes to his cold and pale shoulder. "Does it still hurt?" I whispered, afraid my own voice would shatter the calm silence.

"Not so much," Connor gulped and shook his head. "My shoulder's already cold enough."

"Well, it should help at least a little," I went to put the ice pack away, but before I did I turned to him, "You wanna just stay down here?"

There was a pause before he nodded. "Okay," I said softly. Connor got off the counter and we made our way to the living room. I didn't know what he did while he was upstairs after coming back from the abandoned house, and I didn't know if he slept enough or not.

While he got comfortable and laid down on the couch, I looked for one of the throw blankets that were plopped on one of the armchairs. I unfolded it and threw it over him, sitting down in front of him afterward. When I felt his skin brush against mine, there wasn't much contrast to the cold and numb temperatures.

"Y/N?" I heard him whisper.

"Hm?"

"You'll.. you'll stay here, won't you?"

Our fingers slowly intertwined. I turned to him, slightly knitting my eyebrows. "Why wouldn't I?"

Connor made as much room as he could, but I was still able to fit comfortably right next to him. He didn't seem to mind I was facing away from him. He was supposed to be asleep, so he didn't have to worry about me.

"Y/N," He whispered, his voice almost shaking again.

"Yea Con?" I said softly back.

I felt him dig his face a little bit into the crook of my neck. "Thank you," He whispered again before drifting off to sleep.

•••

When I woke up, there was more room on the couch, and the blanket was completely wrapped around me instead of arms. Zoe was crouched in front of me.