TWO

Connor

I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy her company. Was I anxious when she first came up to me and Jared? Yes. Did I expect her to invite me to lunch? No. Time seemed to just fly by when we were hanging out at the side of the building.

Zoe followed behind me as I started for home after school. "Hey, Connor!" she called out. I didn't turn around.

"HEY!" she yelled again, gripping my shoulder when she caught up. "I saw you talking with Y/N. What drugs did you give her?"

Glaring at her, I replied, "I didn't give her shit. She just invited me to lunch."

Zoe had a confused expression, "I don't see why she would." She scoffed and ran ahead of me.

Seconds after, I took out a cigarette and lit it. It was seemed quiet and calming until I heard another voice behind me.
"That stuff can kill you, yknow."

I turned around and saw Y/N crossing her arms. "So?" I asked, blowing another puff. I kept walking and she caught up and matched my pace.

There was silence before I asked, "Hey uh, don't take this the wrong way, but why are you um.. talking to me?"

Immediately, I regretted asking after she gave me a weird look. "What?" She asked.

"You know what, forget it."

"No, I wanna answer, I just don't know how."

"Then you don't have to answer."

Y/N bit her lip, "I don't know Connor, I- sorry, I really don't."

Even though I was a little disappointed because I didn't get a proper answer, I couldn't blame her. I wouldn't know what to say in that kind of situation.

I don't even know if there's a possibility we could be friends.

Friends...

It sounded like a foreign word. Was this really friendship? I wouldn't know. She probably pitied me because of the 'Jared incident' and wanted to make me feel better or something.

"That crap can actually hurt you." She said again as she took a look at my fingers that were wrapped around the cigarette. "It can literally ruin your life."

"How would you know?"

"I know someone whose life was destroyed by that shit."

My eyes widened, "Personal much?" I asked.

She paused, "Sorry, I just take this stuff seriously. Forget I said it."

"Aw great," I replied, "You're making me feel bad."

"I'm not trying to!" Y/N responded, "I don't want you to feel bad!"

"You don't- what?" I asked, clearly shocked.

She spoke slower, "I don't want you to feel bad..?"

I blew another puff of smoke, "Geez, I don't think anyone has ever said that to me before."

"Well fuck, Connor," She replied, "Now you're making me feel bad."

I chuckled a bit, "We can do this all day."

It felt weird, she was treating me like a normal person. I wasn't criticized and she made me feel wanted. How do you react to this stuff?

Minutes passed and we stopped in front of Y/N's house. I didn't realize how much time flew when we were talking.

Before entering her home, she turned and looked at me. "Connor?" she asked.

"What?" I replied. I only moved a couple steps from where I was standing.

"This is a weird question, but did we just become, uh.."

"Friends?" I finished her sentence and regretted it a little. "Shit, sorry I-"

Y/N laughed a little, "Actually, that's what I was gonna ask."

Before I answered, she explained that she had to go and that she'd see me later. We said our awkward goodbyes and I started for home.

Friends, huh? Maybe the word won't sound so funny anymore.