FORTY-NINE

You

"Don't fucking touch me!"

Quickly, I pulled my hand away, pursing my lips. Connor, who ran his hand through his hair as if he couldn't get it out of his face enough, glanced back at me and then back at his blanket covered legs.
"Holy shit," he sighed, pulling his knees close to his chest and hugging them. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize."

More silence.

"Bad dream?" My voice came out dry. I just had to start asking questions, didn't I? If he wanted to talk he could've just-

"Yea," Connor forced out, nodding his head. "You know what? Thanks for waking me." He then lifted his head. "I'm not being sarcastic this time."

We stared at each other for a moment. He probably meant for me to laugh, but I couldn't. "Wanna talk about it?"

His hand scooted closer to mine, so I followed his silent request and grabbed it.
"It's pretty fucking stupid." He inhaled sharply. "Don't worry abou-"

"Of course I'm gonna worry, goddammit!" I rubbed circles at the back of his pale hand. I flicked my eyes over to his face. I couldn't tell if he was on the verge of crying or if it was sweat.
"You- I'm sorry, you don't have to tell me if you don't wanna."

He straightened himself and we inches closer together. His head rested on my shoulder.

"It's okay," I whispered.

"You broke up with me and raced out of the house. Your stuff was packed up and everything," he said, half chuckling and trying to talk like it didn't matter. "Zoe and Evan were in on it and all that."

My stomach dropped as I listened.

Connor went on. "And now I'm just thinking, dream you wouldn't do that. At least, hopefully not. I mean it could've been worse, y'know?"

I threw my arms over his shoulders, but loosened my grip when he froze up a little. "That's never gonna fucking happen, you hear me?" I told him. "Unless either of us do something unforgiving-"

"So what I do half my life?"

"Connor, listen to me." He looked at me as I moved my hand and cupped his cheek. "It's just a dream and it's not gonna happen."

He tilted his head and yawned. "I know."

I brushed my lip against Connor's before laying back down next to him, his head still resting on my shoulder. "Thanks Y/N,"

"For what?" I whispered.

"For existing." He hooked his arm around my waist.

"Never got that before," I smiled, my cheeks flushing.

Connor looked back at me. "Well now you have. G'night Y/N."

"Well," I began turning my head towards him. Ever since we got to the house, it seemed like his eyes were clearer. And he smiled more, so that was nice.

Perfect, actually.

"It's more like 'good morning' because it's like 5 in the-"

I felt his lips attach on to mine in a swift movement. Inhaling as he moved back to look at me, he smirked. "You're a smart-ass, you know that?"

"I am in advanced math." I said in a matter-of-fact tone as I scooted closer to him as he faked a groan.

Soon, we were drifting off to sleep once again with ticking clock that hung on the wall beside the bed as our lullaby.

•••

Shivering as my bare feet touched the cold staircase, I traveled downstairs behind Connor and followed the sound of Zoe's guitar.
She sat in one of the armchairs and happily strummed to a song playing on the TV.

"Hey Y/N, you ready?" Zoe asked, setting her guitar down and standing up.

"Yep," I nodded. The two of us had planned on going to this spa place down a couple blocks away.

Connor, still half asleep, slowly walked over to the kitchen, grabbed one of those coffee pods and stuck it in a coffee maker with a black mug under the spout. I went over to him after Zoe ran upstairs to grab something.

"You look dead inside."

"I am," He slumped down in his chair and yawned. I chuckled and wrapped my arms around him from behind. For some reason, I had a sense of pride for being one of the only people who could say that to him. After all, he would
probably say it to me.

Or maybe he was just tired and couldn't give less of a shit.

What if he was worried about the dream? I thought. What if it kept him up? Why the hell didn't I stay up if it did?

My ears perked up at the sound of Zoe shuffling down the stairs. "I gotta go, we'll probably be back around 2:30." I said as he spun around to face me.

"Alright, see you." Connor smiled tiredly.

"We're bringing food back later too," I chuckled.

As quickly as the speed of light, Connor stood up and wrapped his arms around me. "Holy shit, I love you smart-ass," he whispered, at the same time chuckling into my ear.

After he let go, we noticed Zoe standing in the frame of the kitchen entrance. The corner of her lip was raised as she tossed the house key.

"Oh shut up," Connor rolled his eyes as he went to grab his coffee which was done being poured. When I looked back at him, he was holding back a smile once again.