FORTY-FIVE

You

What Connor and I would've given to be Zoe and Evan in this situation, just chilling out in the car with the AC on. That'd would've been nice, since it suddenly felt uncomfortably hotter than before.

Apparently that just couldn't happen. My dad was right there.

We quickly pulled away. Connor awkwardly and quickly stuffed his hands in his black jean pockets. Our eyes were anywhere but on my dad.

I gulped as I heard Connor say, "Alright Zoe you won!" His eyes flickered over to the car and then back at me, begging me to play along and hoping his sister would too.

Zoe's head peaked out from the car. "What?" She stared at both of us before returning back inside the car.

Dad chuckled behind us. "Y/N, Con- Guys, cut the act. I get it." He said, waving his hand around. "No offense, but you're not that slick."

"Thanks Dad."

"No I mean," he paused and chuckled again as he gathered his words. "You guys are with each other all the dang time and Y/N came home wearing your hoodie." Dad pointed to Connor. "Even when we talk about you guys Y/N just smiles."

My face started to heat up, and it was not because of the hotness. Connor's head shot up, both his eyebrows raised. "Seriously?" He seemed to relax a bit.

Just then, Larry had already walked outside, key in hand. "You guys ready?"

As Connor nodded and left inside the car, I gave my dad a hug and said goodbye before following after him with the corner of my lip raised.

•••

Not even ten minutes into the drive, music was already blasting from the radio, much to Larry's dismay. He had to have at least expected it since he's living with two teenagers. I swear I heard him mumble something about "these kids" under his breath.

This time, we actually remembered the AUX!

"Zoe I think you've been hanging out with Jared a lot," I chuckled as Zoe was head banging in the passenger seat next to her concerned father. Connor was doing the same and out of the corner of my eye, Evan tried his best not to crack up.
Even though I looked at him for confirmation she still asked, "And what makes you think that Y/N?" She dramatically spun around, her hair messily falling in front of her face.

"This is wii music!" I cracked up.

Connor looked at and corrected me. "Wii music remix!"

"My bad." I jokingly made a face at him as he immaturely stuck his tongue out.

Evan spoke, quieter than the rest of us but loud enough to hear, at least for me since I was next to him and Connor. "Actually, if I remember correctly, I'm- I think Jared remixed it..?"

As the two Murphy siblings, Evan, and I moved in hilarious sync with the music to pass most of the time, the car ran over a bumpy part of the road, and eventually we made it to where the road narrowed and became more rocky. We were definitely in the area of town where it was cut off from most neighborhoods.

"IM A GODDAMN ADULT NOW!" Connor exclaimed loudly out the window through the blasting music, smiling ear to ear.

"SHUT UP CONNOR, WE GET IT!"

Then, Larry quickly parked the car in a rounded driveway near the front of the stone and brick house. It had a traditional and cozy feel to it, and that was just from the exterior. Shrubbery elegantly lined the bottom of the building, so carefully as if they were glass.
It wasn't as near the size as the Murphy's actual house, but I was in awe. I could tell Evan was too.

"We're here!" Larry breathed out sharply like he just accomplished something. All of us excitedly hopped out of the car, grabbed our bags, luggage, and other stuff from the trunk before hurrying over to the entrance.

Connor and Zoe turned to their father, eyebrows raised as they held out one hand in front of him for keys.

Larry hesitantly reached into his suit pockets and pulled out two keys, giving one to both of them. "I'm trusting you two," he reminded them. Connor, smirking, unlocked and kicked the door open and allowed us to enter.

My eyes widened at the interior. The medium sized lower level was enough to fit a living room to my left, a sitting area, a kitchen that was more than normally sized, and a separate dining area.

It was definitely grand, but welcoming and nice as well.
"Well this place sure looks nice," I chuckled, looking around.

"I bet the washing machine is still broken." Connor mumbled, looking around the familiar place to him.

"Okay," Zoe kicked off her converse and placed them on a small shelf near the front door. "You don't give a shit about laundry and I know that for a fact. But yea, we're probably gonna have to use the ones down the street again. That one bathroom's probably still not working either."

"They're both broken like mom's cassettes," Larry laughed and walked and looked around the living room. He pointed at his kids. "You two better be responsible, especially you Connor. You're an adult now. All of you guys should be responsible enough, actually."

"Yea Dad," Zoe nodded with Connor.

"Cynthia already told you guys about most of the stuff. The stores are only a couple blocks down, the fridge and pantry are completely stocked for the apocalypse and all that. Evan, Y/N, you can obviously just ask Connor and Zoe if you need anything." He turned back to them, "You know what to do if there's an emergency, you hear?"

"Yep." They nodded again.

He then made his way outside the door. "Right then. I gotta go, can't be late for this."

"Thanks dad," Zoe called out as Connor awkwardly waved.

"Thank you Larry!" I smiled.

"Have fun and behave yourself!" Larry said his goodbye before turning on his heel and shutting the door.

The four of us faced each other, and we could already tell what we were all thinking.

"The nearest neighborhood is about a mile from here," Connor took a remote and turned on the living room TV, connected it to his phone, and opened up a music app. That stupid and mischievous grin made my stomach fill with butterflies, and it just made me smile even more.

Zoe then came rushing in from the kitchen with an armful of snacks. Her expression read 'I don't regret anything.'

"Geez, Zoe," Evan hurried over and helped her with boxes of cookies and crackers. "Just make two trips.."

"Two trips are for suckers," I heard Connor say as music came from the TV. "Now that we got our shit together, let's fuck some shit up already!"