4

In another part of the hospital the nurses and doctors are gathered around the vid feed watching the warriors spar. "They aren't even human." One doctor, Dr. Bugs says in wonder as the fight goes for about an hour.

No one expected what happened next. The nurse that had saved him the previous day smacks him hard on his cheek. All attention turns to them. The Dr. stares at her in surprise as he rubs his cheek where she slapped him.

She turns on him angrily, "They are as human as you or I. They have been bred for generations for the traits of speed and agility and strength. They train from childhood to hone their skills. They practice hours each day as children always being pushed to be faster, stronger, better. These sparring matches are a way of life for them. They don't get to play for fun; they don't get to be just kids. The best of us civilians wouldn't last five minutes against them, and it's a good thing too. They are what stands up for us against those that would enslave us or eat us." She forces the doctor to look at the monitor showing the sparring match once more.

"Those two men are all that's left of an entire company. Their Company was ground up to piece meal. But they held on. The enemy left due to them, but it was a heavy price to pay. The planet remains to us and the civilians saved because of them.

"They lost their family, their entire family that day. They are the only family they have left. They are without direction now, they've both been discharged so they don't even have work to fall back on. They have nothing left. Now Doctor you claim that they aren't even human anymore. Just how well would you do under those circumstances?" Her words are biting and direct.

The match goes for about an hour before Thompson's prosthetic fails him and Jayse manages to lightly draw his knife across Thompson's throat. Only sound heard is Thompson's oath as he concedes defeat, "Damn!"

Everyone is struck speechless from the performance. They walk back into the main part of the hospital with the only sounds coming from the machinery. The people stare at them in amazement. 

Jayse and Thompson take their regard in stride and hide their amusement. They come up to the turn near the nurse's station where the nurse is berating the Dr. They get there in time to hear the heated defense by the nurse. Jayse holds Thompson back and unabashedly listens to the nurse defending them.

Thompson goes to speak and Jayse signals him to stop. Thompson stops confused then puts things together. This is the dumb Dr. and the nurse that saved his life. He too listens and both are amazed at what they hear.

"You seem to know a lot about the warrior class Nurse," the doctors voice at least is no longer arrogant. He seems curious now.

The nurse appears lost in thought and tears gather in her eyes. All are breathlessly waiting her answer. She gathers her thoughts and gives herself a small shake. When she speaks the two warriors smile in amazement.

"When you stopped Sgt. Jayse yesterday I truly thought you were a dead man. That he let you go without even hurting you is a testament to his control. I don't think any other warrior would've let you live.

"The warrior's never give the final grace unless there is no other options. Corp. Rory was for all intents gone." Here her voice breaks down and she has to take a deep breath.

She decides to go back even further. "The warrior class is separate from us for good reason." She motions to the monitor which is now off. "As you just witnessed for yourself. They keep to themselves so that their abilities don't get muddied and weak. They are very protective of each other and us.

"But they also realize that staying insular will induce fatal inbreeding as well. So, they watch for civilians of extraordinary abilities and when they find one that has abilities that they are looking for they invite them to join the warrior class. My sister was one such person.