9g

Kadance is secure and Jayse needs something to keep his mind of this situation. He goes back to the common room and sits down at the computer. He loads up the feeds the others had been watching earlier. "They are still identifying bodies." Janden says and Jayse wants to kill the smarmy little bastard. "But so far none of them are your niece."

Dunworthy explodes, "That girl has more lives than a cat." He throws a card on the desk, "No matter she will be here." He says pointing to the card on the desk. He snorts, "She got a special invite that she can't refuse." Jayse tunes out the rest of the dialogue as he focuses on those sentences. He stops the feed and plays it over again.

There's no doubt, Dunworthy has someone at Command on his payroll, or at least someone high up enough is leaking information. This infuriates Jayse. How could any warrior leak confidential information to Dunworthy? And how did Dunworthy find out his niece's latest alias?

Jayse isn't anywhere near as good as Tommy at finding things. And he suspects that he doesn't come near Candlen or Rackem either, but he does know his way around electronics. He searches for hours and keeps coming up against blocks. He's so into his search he has no idea how late it is until Tommy interrupts him.

"Find anything interesting Jayse?" Tommy asks as he heads into the kitchen looking for some food. He throws something together for himself and Jayse.

Jayse shakes his head and says in frustration, "Nothing. I'm sure you noticed the leak from someone at HQ?"

"Of course. That's part of why I'm going out tonight. Whoever it is didn't leave an electronic signature. I'll be looking for hard evidence of who the traitor is as well as all evidence against Dunworthy that I can find." Tommy says as he brings in the quick meal he made for himself and Jayse.

Jayse looks at Tommy seriously, "Are you sure leaving us is for the best?"

Jayse doesn't even touch the food Tommy brought him. Tommy is eating only out of necessity. He isn't really hungry, but he needs to eat before he leaves. At Jayse's question he couldn't even force himself to eat another bite.

Tommy looks down at his half eaten food and then back at Jayse, "This stalemate that's going on is tearing her apart. I don't want that, I'm not that selfish. She needs you. So after the reception I have to leave."

"Have you ever thought that your leaving will tear her apart even more than your staying here would? She needs you as much as she needs Jayse here. She looks at you the same way she looks at Jayse. I think she is so confused because you both have equal weight with her." Borden says from the common room entry.

Borden motions to the deep bruise Tommy is sporting, "That's why she gave you that love tap. You scared her deeply or she never would have done that. I truly shudder to think what would happen should she lose either of you." Borden spears Tommy with his eyes.

Tommy is fascinated on Borden's insights. Borden continues keeping Tommy speared with his look, "What would you do if something happened to Kadance and she died?"

Tommy replies shrugging, "I would start taking chances that are reckless, basically daring something to get me. After I took care of whoever hurt her."

Borden gives a short sharp nod. "You'd go suicidal. Only you'd do a self destruct instead of taking the city down."

Tommy looks thoughtfully at Borden then at Jayse before nodding, "Yeah, I guess I would at that." He gives a small chuckle. "I don't think Kadance would much care for that would she?" He takes a few more bites.

Borden speaks carefully now. Both men are looking at him as he continues, "I believe Kadance feels that way about both of you. I don't think she can choose." He faces Jayse, "I've already talked to you about the options. You need to talk to her about it as well."

"I've mentioned it to her in passing earlier. I told her, that if not one of us would be leaving so she knows how important things have gotten.

"I know she thinking about it. Hopefully concentrating on it more than this 'twice damned reception' that were going to tomorrow." Jayse says slowly.

Borden leaves it at that. The decision is Kadance's and hers alone. He goes into the kitchen and Tommy hands him his plate. Borden rolls his eyes but takes it anyway.

Tommy is much happier now than he had been. He does sound check on his com unit and then grabs a small kit. He deactivates the perimeter alarm and slides out the door.

Jayse remains watching the now closed door until Borden comes in. "Thank you Borden. Your words have helped to make Tommy more focused. He might just make it without being caught."

Borden chokes on the food he was currently swallowing. Once the coughing stops long enough for him to speak Borden says, "Tommy? He doesn't get caught unless he wants to. Even if his mind wasn't on his work. Hell Jayse you know Tommy better than I do. Has he ever gotten caught?"

Jayse is thoughtful as he answers, "Nope. You're right, you could be staring straight at him and it's like he's invisible.

"But still you've given him more hope and reason to not get caught than he's had in a long time. Thank you." Jayse says with conviction and sincerity.

"You're welcome, but it'll be up to yon faire Lady about the outcome of all of this. She's the one that will make the ultimate decision of whether or not he leaves us. So don't thank me yet." Borden warns. Not liking the idea of being to blame should Kadance ultimately not choose the option that's the riskiest.

Jayse gives him a small twist of the lips smile. "I realize the severity of the situation far more than you Borden. You may be witness, but I'm in the middle of this." He stares at the door once more. "Should Tommy leave, Kadance won't be the only one dealing with the loss."

Borden stumbles with the words, "I'm sorry Jayse. Sometimes I forget that you two are all that's left of Sigma."

"We were best friends. Him, Rory and when Tommy's son joined us we included him too." Jayse smiles at the bittersweet memories before coming back to the present and facing Borden. "It was a sharp blow and painful to lose Tommy's son. But that pain was alleviated with the knowledge that Tommy and Rory lived. At least some of my family lived.

"It was touch and go for a awhile with Tommy. When he found out about his son I really wasn't sure he would make it. And Rory, it would have been a kindness had Rory died that day.

"Borden, you may have been sidelined, but you still have your family. You can still talk to them and at times even get together with them."

Jayse nods to the door. "He's all the family I have left. If he leaves I'm not sure how I'll be able to keep it together. I've been doing my best to not think about his leaving, trying to stay focused on the reception. But it's been distracting ME and that isn't good."

"You've done well staying focused. But please talk to Kadance again. It will be disastrous should Tommy leave. Talk to her Jayse." Borden says urgently.

"Talk to me about what boys?" Kadance asks yawning as she comes into the room.