27a

"Jayse, there's going to be a string of explosions in about two minutes. Then all perimeter traps will be done. I'll be in the compound then," Tommy reports breaking the now awkward silence.

"Prepare for explosions then compound fighting, assume defensive positions NOW!" Jayse relays the orders.

Explosions from the traps and canon fire rock the compound knocking even those sitting to the floor, then silence.

"All units report," Jayse orders tersely.

"Compound units are fine, ready for action," Compounds reports.

"Alpha ready for action, no injuries," Alpha Command reports.

"They're gone," Compound reports, "Bravo section is fully cleared," Jayse checks the monitors.

"Alpha, confirm with Compound on Alpha, Bravo and Charlie sectors," Jayse orders.

"Confirmed Jayse, nothing living out there," Alpha reports.

"Hey Jayse, we left some for Alpha and Compound in the Delta section. They'll be here soon," Amgle says cheerfully.

"Catch that Commanders?" Jayse asks.

"Roger, Delta section," Compound replies.

"Loud and clear Jayse, our turn to have fun."

"Compound stay in position, keep a look out for any shifters that sneak around. They like doing that."

"Yes, sir. Holding positions."

Tommy comes in with the twins. "It seems this is the place to be now. Where ever boss lady is, they're sure to come.

"Time to rest a bit. Tell ya what," Tommy says pointing to the twins, "they're good. Natural ghosts, they may actually make it past my field test, but ghosting is only a very small part of the field test." Tommy lays down on the couch and tries not to wince at the pain it causes. "Blasted ribs started hurting after that last series of blasts.

"Hey, ghosts where are you? Nobody's heard from you and boss lady is getting worried," Tommy says as he closes his eyes.

"Just ghosting the corridors," Amgle replies.

"Hanging with Alpha in Delta sector," Marks reports.

"Checking the other sectors for life," Dest reports.

"Ghosting with compound and roof teams," Mareton reports.

"Ghosting wherever the wind takes me," Trader says.

"Good work team, lovely show. Stick as close to Boss Lady's area as you can. They always seem to target her for some reason," Tommy orders. As they give their affirmatives Tommy slips into sleep. The twins stare in surprise and Jayse holds Kadance back.

"He needs the rest. He'll wake up ready to protect, it's a trick all longtime campaigners pick up. He needs it more than most because he's still healing," Jayse explains.

Maren comes in with food. "Everyone eat. There'll be plenty of action for us all. This'll help you keep your focus."  She looks at Tommy, "I'll keep some hot for him."

"Take shots as they come. Compound, trust in your training," Jayse gives his final orders. As canons fire he sits down and pulls Kadance to him. Then he looks over at Tommy. He tosses Borden the com and takes Kadance into the other room.

"I'm sorry General, but Jayse is unavailable right now. It's worth more than my life to get him." Borden explains to an irate General why he can't get Jayse.