51

"What about nannies?" Kelan asks after lunch. Kadance is directing furniture placement.

"What about them?" Kadance says distractedly. "NO, not there, more to the right, my right, there perfect."

"You'll need to hire to least four. Two on at all times," Kelan explains.

That stops Kadance cold, "I never thought of that. I can't expect the security team to watch the babies."

"We'll all chip in, but they'll require full time care. And if you want any sleep you'll need more than four," Kelan explains.

"Any suggestions?" Kadance says half panicked.

"Those that have babies for a living, they're trained warriors. They are only allowed so many pregnancies. There are several retired ones in the compound. They have a lot of experience. I'd suggest six-eight. Preferably eight. Two twelve hour shifts each, but have the shifts staggered so that every six hours a pair goes off shift. That way you'll be able to sleep and do whatever you have to. You can still be an active force in their lives, but you'll also be doing your job to diffuse suicider time bombs and keeping track of Dunworthy Holdings," Kelan suggests.

Troubled Kadance nods, "Yes, I hadn't thought of that. Can you set up interviews for me?" Kadance asks.

"Tomorrow?" Kelan asks.

"Yes, the sooner everything is done the better," Kadance sighs. "There's so much to do. I feel like time is running out."

"Not everything has to be done before the babies are born. With so many they'll likely be in NICU for awhile no matter what, so take a deep breath and relax," Kelan says soothingly.

"A deep breath? Oh you're so not funny. Set up the interviews, something is telling me I better have everything in place."

"How hard can it be to find eight females I can trust around the babies?" Kadance asks rubbing her aching temples, "Are they all that snobbish?"

"I'd forgotten that about them. They are used to being considered the best of us, but none of them had more than four at a time. They're just jealous of you," Kelan says.

"Well if I can't find some in this next batch I'll have to turn to civies," Kadance says unhappily. "I won't tolerate being treated like I'm trash and they're doing me a favor by working for me."

"There are some redliners medic personnel especially desirous of working with new life." Tommy says from the position he took at the window. "Not all have been absorbed by civie hospitals. The civies just don't understand."

"Well this is the last batch. It may be, probably will be necessary to go that route. If so will you set up appointments?" Kadance asks. She quickly accepts the pain medicine Kelan hands her. "I've never met so many prideful people in my life."

Tommy laughs, "Not and them staying that way. I kept waiting for you to take them down a notch or two," Tommy jokes.

"No reason to, they deserve their pride. It's cold comfort and they have many long lonely years ahead of them. If I took their pride they might find mates. Then they might find happiness. They prefer pride."

"Ahh, I knew there must be a reason. That's cold though Kadance," Tommy says.

"No more than they are. I never accepted being treated like that when I ran in fear of my uncle. Not even my uncle treated me like that," Kadance retorts.

"Okay, head feels better, send in the rest of the bitter ones," Kadance says.

"Not one." Kelan says in disgust. "I certainly don't blame you Kadance. They were worse than the first batch. Ice queen's everyone." Kelan shakes her head in disgust.