14

An hour and a half later she finishes the first three men. These are the ones that Central had missed. Kadance curses the psyches from Central all over again. She's worn out and needs to rest and eat something herself or she'll be too sick to continue.

Tommy contacts the other three men as they escort Kadance back to the room. She eats a light meal and then takes a nap that she meant to be only fifteen minutes but turned out to be an hour.

When she wakes up she scolds Jayse, "You should have awakened me sooner."

Jayse is unrepentant and replies, "You needed the sleep or you would have awakened earlier on your own."

Tommy hands her a plate of fruit before either one will allow her to go back to work. "You didn't eat much for lunch and this will give you some extra energy."

Defeated Kadance takes the fruit and finds it far more refreshing than she had thought it would be. Especially since some of the fruit is some that she normally detests but now finds delightful.

Kadance finishes the fruit and setting the plate down says, "Okay back to the lions den." Satisfied Tommy and Jayse go with her back down to where the last three suiciders were patienty waiting for her.

The first one takes about half an hour then they move on to the next.

"L.C. Mareton, thank you for meeting with me." Kadance says pleasantly as they enter the room. "So sorry to have kept you waiting."

Mareton smiles, but it's rather haunted and sad, as he replies, "You've made me very comfortable here I have no complaints. I just hope you can help me."

Kadance smiles warmly in return, "I'm glad to hear it and I most certainly hope to be able to help you. In any case you'll be free after this.

"But tell me L.C. I'm curious your file says nothing about why you were redlined and I need to know that if I'm to help you." Kadance says as she looks the Lt Commander in the eyes. The man takes no offense and actually seems to relax even as he becomes sadder.

"Then I'm afraid I can't be helped. Sorry for your trouble and thank you for your hospitality." Mareton gets up and moves towards the door.

Tommy leans back against the door and gets an unreadable expression on his face.

Kadance sighs heavily and says, "I'm afraid L.C. that you don't understand. You won't be leaving here until your issues are resolved and you're no longer a suicider. At that time you will be allowed to leave."

Jayse interjects, "We've all got top clearance from Command Central with specific instructions on what we are and aren't allowed to do or not do. We are cleared to hear your story, all of us. So, since Kadance prefers to keep people alive I suggest you tell her what she wants to know."

"Enough Jayse he doesn't need threats from the ones trying to help him. He, like yourself has been through hell. Just patch me through to Rueton." Kadance says calmly reprimanding Jayse even as she can feel Mareton bridling and readying himself to attack.

"If General Rueton will clear me, then I'll tell." But Mareton is bleak and it's obvious that he's already reliving the memory.

"Stay with me here and now Mareton. No need to relive it twice in such a short time." Kadance says pulling Mareton away from his bleak thoughts.

Tommy is busy making the call, "Get me General Reuton." He listens for a moment. "Don't give me that, you know whom I am calling on behalf of or do I have to put her online? I should tell you that she's in the middle of dealing with a suicider right now...thank you."