25a

Sometime later Jayse leaves a now resting Kadance, "Camp Commander is calling and Alpha Company is here. Commander Alem wants to meet with you and Camp Commander. And to top it all off General Rueton wants to talk to you as well." Rackem says leaving no time for Jayse to recover from the emotional upheaval his talk with Kadance had been. Rackem winces at the red mark on Jayse's face even as Borden silently hands Jayse the ice pack.

Jayse sighs both in resignation and in relief. Resignation for the tumult of prebattle counsels and in relief for the ice pack. He nods his thanks to Borden for the foresight.

"Request politely to have the commanders meet here. Tommy won't be free for hours yet and Kadance is resting." Rackem nods and does as Jayse directed but his fascinated gaze returns over and over to the red mark now turning other colors on Jayse's face.

Jayse ignores him and continues giving instructions, "Contact General Rueton. No time like the present." His voice is heavy with sarcasm.

"Patching through," Rackem says.

Jayse takes a deep breath, "General, my man tells me you wanted to talk to me?"

The general stares unashamedly at the hand print on Jayse's face. "What in all the hells did you do to deserve that?" His tones are of complete disbelief.

Jayse touches the mark gingerly, and replies ruefully "I suggested that she might want to abort her babies. She didn't much care for the suggestion."

"You've married a very volatile woman Lt." The general says in horrified tones.

"Only when it's merited sir. Had it been a woman born and raised in the society I think I'd be bleeding to death with internal injuries. I'd rather take her little love tap over that any day." Jayse replies jovially, not mentioning that the subject would never have come up if Kadance had been born into the warrior society.

General Rueton shudders, "Well it's your life. Why'd you suggest she abort?"

"Long story sir." Jayse has no intention of talking about this with Rueton. "What did you want to talk about?" Jayse asks changing the subject.

"Your cheek must be sore," Rueton refuses to change the subject.

"Yes, sir. Had it been her fist I have no doubt that I'd be sporting a broken jaw right now." Jayse is visibly losing patience as he continues, "Now sir, can we get back on track?" Jayse is very thankful Kadance didn't use her fist.

"I was just going to say that I'll stay with Kadance while you meet with Alpha and Camp Commanders." Rueton finally gets to the point. "But maybe that's not a good idea."

"Kadance actually likes you General. It upsets her that you are afraid of her you know. Kadance is a wonderful person." Jayse says in a slightly chiding tone.

This surprises Rueton and he's visibly taken aback. "She likes me?"

"Yes, sir. She doesn't know what she's done to terrify you. She had no idea that you were afraid of her and when she found out she cried. It took Tommy and me quite some time to calm her down. So although she wouldn't mind you staying here with her, she's having a really hard time right now,  the council will be meeting here. You are of course welcome to come and join us, but Kadance is resting right now so she most likely won't be joining us." Jayse rejoins graciously, glad that plans had already been made for the council to meet here.

That takes Rueton aback a bit and he thinks about it before replying. "Thank you Lt. I think I will."

Jayse replies pained, "Sir, please don't keep calling me Lt. I'm no longer active duty."