33

Sandlee comes up to him, "Here, let me help ease your headache." She lays him down and rubs his shoulders and neck muscles.

"Thank you Sandlee. I feel much better," he says after about ten minutes. "As soon as Alpha comes for Rueton I'll get out of your way." He tells the team. "I know I'm a distraction."

"Maybe so, Colonel, but a distraction I'd rather have under my nose than have to watch through cameras." Kadance says wearily coming through the doors.

"Jayse have Rueton escorted to Alpha. I'd have thought he'd be out by now." Kadance says giving Rueton a disgusted look. At Jayses signal Marks and Mareton pick up Rueton and take him from the room.

"I hope all went well with Thompson," Lighten says painfully.

"We hope so. Too much activity reopened his injuries." Kadance sits down wearily. "Rackem, Amgle go pack up the Colonel's office. Trader go get the Colonel's things. He'll be setting up office here," Kadance orders. "Understand Colonel, you are free to go. You don't have to move in with us. But the moment you move out, negotiations are over for good. You're going to be here night and day, proving your good faith. I'll no longer take anyone's word alone that works for the government," Kadance states flatly. "You'll be treated with as much respect as I or my team treat anyone. You'll be monitored everywhere but your sleeping quarters. Is this acceptable?" Kadance asks leaning forward.

"This is more than I had hoped for. Yes, these conditions are acceptable. Are there any other conditions you wish to place?" Lighten writes as quickly as he can. He's more than a little blown away by how fast she moves once she makes up her mind.

"Just tell me what you are prepared to offer." Kadance says sitting back and closing her eyes.

Lighten looks at her thoughtfully. Then he looks around at her team. Most of whom were watching him. Borden lifts his eyebrow in question. Lighten takes a chance. "We are willing to let you have whatever you want. Kadance, we realize you're not stupid. We know and you know we need you far more than you need us. Name your price." Lighten says doing his best to not move his jaw.

"Borden? Is he on the up and up?" Kadance asks.

"Yes, boss. Didn't think he'd state it so plainly, but yes," Borden replies thoughtfully.

"He's authorized to negotiate on the governments behalf?" Kadance inquires further with more than a hint of disbelief in her tone.

"Yes, ma'am. Heard Admiral Jannsen order him to get you back whatever it takes. He'll back Lighten," Borden drawls.

"I see. Well Colonel, this has been a very long and wearying afternoon. Join us for dinner. I'll think over your offer. It won't be a quick reply, but I'll definitely have one by the time we leave. Due only to the fact my travel plans will be determined by my decision," Kadance says tiredly.

"Fair enough Kadance. Captain Landon wishes Thompson a quick recovery."

Kadance laughs, "Captain Landon just wants Tommy to recover because I'll be on his ship. He's afraid of what I'll do to him or his ship if Tommy doesn't."

"Not true Kadance. Captain Landon genuinely likes Tommy he hopes Tommy will get better for that reason only. Well okay because he doesn't want to blow up his ship too, but also because of Tommy." Borden says to lighten things up a bit.

Rackem, Amgle and Trader come back with the Colonel's things and they brought Rueton's office as well.

Marks and Mareton return as well, "Rueton just flew off in Landon's shuttle." Marks reports.

"Well that's good," Kadance sighs. She takes the food Jayse hands her and smiles at him.

Maren hands Lighten his. "Eat Lighten. There's no better food artist then Maren. She keeps us all well fed, even liquids." Kadance says, then she eagerly starts eating. Now that tensions had lessened considerably Lighten found himself eating as eagerly as the others.

"Jayse you need to rest." Kadance says as she gets up to go back to Tommy. "I'll take Borden and Dest with me."

"You need to rest as much as I do. If you can rest by Tommy than so can I. But we'll take Dest and Borden."

Kadance doesn't try to fight it. Nodding she leans heavily on Jayse. All four quickly leave the room.

"If you need anything Colonel just let us know. Your room is the third door down the left corridor left hand side. You can set up your office in that corner there." Candlen says motioning to the front corner of room. Almost directly opposite of his desk and equipment. Lighten didn't miss the significance of this.

He starts unpacking his things and getting everything set up. The team goes about their activities, but Lighten didn't think for a moment that he went unobserved.