7b

While they're talking Tommy comes out. Jayse looks a question at him, he's only been out for a couple of hours.

"I couldn't sleep. Something's bothering me and I can't pinpoint it. I thought maybe if I went out for some food that maybe you both could help me figure it out." Jayse and Kadance nod. They could use some food as well. Kadance misses the look that passes between the two men.

"Thanks Tommy, but it's not necessary," Jayse says. "We could all go for food." Jayse stands up and stretches.

Tommy shakes his head negatively. "No, you all will just slow me down, I'll bring back some food. You found anyone from that list?"

"Yeah, and I sent out an invite for him to come visit us. He'll be here in a couple of hours." Jayse accepts Tommy's change of subject. "If he accepts he'll be an interesting asset to the team."

"Oh, which one did you choose? With Kadance wanting time bombs there weren't a whole lot to choose from on planet," Tommy asks a bit distractedly.

"Lt. Commander Borden. I liked his file the best." Jayse replies then turns to Kadance.

"Now tell me just why you insist on the ticking time bombs as your protection detail?" Jayse is trying to not get angry and upset. So far it's working.

Kadance is upset and unable to settle down. "I know you both probably think I'm crazy, or maybe even stupid. But I want people I know my uncle can't get to." She see's the two warriors get angry and thinks she understands why. "I know the reputation of the warrior's. That's a large reason why I do trust you two. But my uncle has a way of corrupting people. He's turned good and honorable people to the lowest traitorous slime balls ever created and they don't even see it. He's taken my family's holdings and ruined their good name. If I could I would kill him for that alone. But with suiciders I know he won't be able to touch them." Kadance gives a little smile. That little smile sends cold shivers down the spines of both Tommy and Jayse.

More than a little hesitant Tommy asks, "How do you know that Kadance?"

Kandance's little smile turns into a wide smile, but very dark. "Why boys, you have to ask? Once I help the suiciders, there loyalty will be to me. Not that I will likely use it for any other reason than my personal protection, but they, like you both will be loyal to me."

Kadance goes back to her pacing as they think about what she's just said. They think that maybe Kadance will either be their salvation or their destruction. And rather than scare them away from her they are more attracted to her than before. Perhaps she's right, their loyalty has changed to her.

Tommy slips out the door. He needs time to think and air to clear his head. He's learned to read people pretty good, but just as he gets a read on Kadance she throws him for a loop. He takes a deep breath and lets his shoulders droop. He can read the signs though, perhaps the words haven't been said and the actions completed, but she's bonded to Jayse. He doesn't know how he can stay with them now. He thought he could handle it, but Kadance has him heart and soul. It's killing him to stay, and it will likely kill him to leave now.

He ghosts around to check things out. He goes over to Kadance's apartment and notices the goons that they slipped past last night were still there. Tommy has little liking for amateurs. They allow themselves to stand out. It's obvious that they don't belong there.

Tommy is about to go to the cafe near the safe house when a third person joins the other two. Tommy becomes alert. That third person came from inside the building. The man takes a package and leaves the first two. The two turn in the other direction.

The third man goes near Tommy and makes the mistake of coming within arms length of him. Tommy grabs the man and they go down a nearby alley to have a chat. Tommy takes the package off the man and looks it over. Thousands of credits for a drug. When Tommy sees that he looks even harder at the man.

It doesn't take Tommy long to get the whole story out of the man, but it's too late to do anything about it. In anger Tommy twists the mans neck and takes off running for the safe house. The first blast goes off just as he enters the lobby. Just as he gets to the door the second blast goes off. The first blast he managed to keep his feet, but the second blast threw him against the doorjamb. Jayse takes the gun and reholsters it as he realizes who just burst into the apartment.

Tommy ignores the bleeding cut on his forehead as he catches his breath. Kadance goes to him and tries to clean him up but he waves her away once he can speak. "Pack up, we gotta go asap. Kadance that was your apartment building. I'm sorry, I wasn't able to stop the explosion." Tommy's voice is sorrow filled.

Kadance turns white and starts crying. Jayse goes to comfort her, "The children. How many families were killed? How many kids?"

Jayse tries his best to help her feel better. "Surely most of them were at school or work. And I'm sure that some will survive." Jayse looks over at Tommy for hope. Tommy indicates with his hand that there is only a fifty percent chance any could have survived.

Tommy tries to comfort her. "Look Kadance, compared to me he's an amateur. I'm sure that the explosion sounded worse than it really was. Now if it had been me, not just the building but the whole block would be destroyed and I'd have used less explosives," Tommy snorts in derision. "I think many will make it."

Kadance looks over at Tommy and can't help but laugh. "I shouldn't be laughing, it feels wrong. But Tommy critiquing the bomber and giving him low points..." Kadance pulls away from Jayse but accepts his handkerchief.

Tommy meanwhile fills up a dishtowel with ice and holds it to his head. "I meant what I said. About the bomber and us leaving. We need to leave as soon as we can get packed up. Sorry I wasn't able to pick up the food like I promised." Tommy goes over to the couch and leans his head backwards against the back. "Hey, I'm already packed except for those toys there. You two need to kick it into gear." Tommy's getting a little angry that it's taking so long for Jayse to get the message. Jayse should be the one taking charge not him.

Finally Kadance leaves and Tommy grabs Jayse's arm. He sets the ice pack away from him and softly demands, "What the hell is wrong with you Jayse? You should be taking lead on this not me! Remember her life depends on us. Hell as far as we know the entire United Planets depends on this woman. What's wrong with you?"

Jayse shakes off Tommy's hand angrily. Then being honest with himself, "I don't know Tommy. I can't seem to think straight."

"Well figure it out Jayse. We need you to much, you're the leader here. Bed her soon if that's what it'll take but get it together." Tommy says in all seriousness. He hides the hurt the words cause, but they need to be said.

"It's too soon for that. If she were born one of us then that would be the answer, but she's not and she's looking for something more. It's going to take time." Jayse says frustrated.

"Not too much, Jayse. I'll be leaving soon. I'll stay till after the party and to help with the fallout, but after that I'll be leaving." Tommy says carefully covering up his pain. His words hit Jayse like a hammer though.

Jayse stares at him like he's never seen him before. "What the hell are you talking about Thompson? She needs you as much as she needs me." Jayse is furious.

Tommy wearily puts the ice pack back on his head, his reply is almost to soft for Jayse too hear, "No, she doesn't. She's already chosen you Jayse. I thought I could handle it if she didn't choose me, but I'm wrong. It's too painful and seeing you two together makes it hard for me to maintain my control. I have to leave soon, before I lose it."

His words hit Jayse hard. He can't lose his best friend and only remaining family member. Then he puts himself in Tommy's place and the feelings are so strong that he breaks the back of the couch that Tommy's sitting on.

In desperation, "Don't do anything yet Tommy. Maybe we can figure something out, some way to keep us together."

"I didn't think I'd win her Jayse, but I tried. Don't worry about me. Get your head on straight and get your butt in gear. We need to leave as soon as I manage to pack that gear. My other stuff is packed." Tommy's head feels like the shifter's were using it for target practice. He groans as he gets up.

"I'll put your gear in one of Kadance's boxes. We'll be ready in ten." Tommy waves his acknowledgement as he stands up. He moves slowly over to the table but once there he's all business. The equipment is dismantled and stored away. He has it all stacked and ready to go in less than the ten minutes Jayse said.