26

Really short chapter sorry.

Jayse comes out later freshly showered and much calmer. "Run scans on the bio scanners. I don't want the surprises we had on Planex."

"Yes, sir," Rackem replies.

"Candlen needed to be relieved?" At Rackem's nod Jayse replies, "Sorry about that. If I hadn't lost my temper and nearly my control Kadance wouldn't have come out here like she had."

"Sir, if you had kept your temper at those insults you'd be thought a coward by us. Those insults were intended to tick you off and push you, and us. They worked all too well. The only one that owes us and especially you an apology is the general and we're not holding our breaths for it," Borden replies.

"Sir, all scanners are up. Checking the bio parameters now." Rackem says, "All parameters are set correctly."

"Good," Jayse nods decisively. "Keep that data up. I want to know if anyone tries to mess with the scanners," Jayse rubs his face.

"The Commanders will be here shortly. I need Candlen, Maren and Kelan here. I just don't trust the General right now."

"No, Kadance, like this," Jayse says throwing a knife. It lands in the door frame.

Kadance throws hers just as Rueton opens the door.

Reuton stops short, "Is it safe for me to come in?" He is hesitant even as the knife still vibrates from her throw.

Kadance looks at him, "That depends General. Are you going to insult my people again?"

Rueton says, "I was afraid you'd take that the wrong way. Look Kadance I had to know if you and all your team would remain stable in a high stress situation."

Kadance's eyes take fire, "My guarantee means nothing does it? We've been in one high stress situation after another since I started this team. Pushing him the way you did caused problems. If my word isn't good enough than I'll quit right here right now. After graduation we'll return to Gaia and you'll never have to deal with me again."

Rueton swallows, "You can't quit. There are too many men out there that need your help."

Kadance retorts, "You don't trust my word, you don't trust me. You don't trust me so there's no reason to continue. My husbands have time and again demonstrated their loyalty. My team has saved countless lives and you call into question their loyalty, you call into question my judgement. How are we to work for someone that does that? What would you have me do General?"

General Rueton sighs, "You're right Kadance. I apologize to you and each team member. I was way out of line saying what I did earlier. Lt. I sincerely apologize to you. I intentionally pushed you trying to goad you. If it's any consolation you passed the test. Now may I come in?"

Kadance holds another knife tapping it against her chin as she listens to him. She looks at Jayse and at his slight nod she relents, "Just as long as you don't call into question our loyalty again. We aren't your soldier lackeys. Any further breach of trust will result in me terminating our work contract." She smiles at him. "Now come in and make yourself comfortable. The others should be coming soon."

The general steps into the room and stops by Jayse, "Is she always so quick to go from angry to happy?"

Jayse shrugs, "Depends on what's making her angry. She's seriously steamed at you. But usually once she lets loose she's quick to forgive." Jayse looks directly at the general. "Make no mistake general, she forgives but never forgets. She does what she sets out to do. She will destroy you if you put yourself against her. But she'll defend you to her dying breath if you prove her friend or at least her ally. I wonder general, which are you going to be? It's entirely up to you. Just remember where all those that have gone against her are. She doesn't want fame, she already has a fortune, she just wants to help others. And we're just helping her achieve her goals, whatever they may be.

"Right now those goals are to stay alive and keep as many of our people alive as possible. Work on this goal with us. If you can't bring yourself to befriend her at least ally yourself with her."