44

Tanker says gruffly, "Trials over. Sentencing in on those bastards. It's to be carried out tomorrow. They need to know if you want to carry out the sentence."

"No, it will change nothing. I will be there to watch the sentence carried out, but it won't be me wielding the knives," Baron says.

"I'll escort you if you like," Tanker offers.

Baron smiles a real smile, "I'd like that, thank you."

"The team, if not on duty will be going as well. You'll be among friends," Jayse says.

"I thank you all," Baron says shyly.

"Take some advice Jayse, you look like hell. Get some sleep. You'll do no one any good if you fall asleep standing up," Tanker says.

"Just needed to take care of this," Jayse stands up. "Thanks for your help Tanker," he walks to Kadances room.

"How long has he gone without sleep?" Tanker asks.

"He hasn't slept much since Tommy's near death. Sometimes he's gone days without sleep," Kelan says.

"Talk to him. You're the medic. Let Tommy and Borden pick up some of his duties. He's doing no one any good like that," Tanker says irritated.

Kelan shrugs, "I've tried. He won't listen. At least not to me. Now that Tommy is better he can get Jayse to rest. Sometimes. Kadance can sometimes, but the rest of us..." She shrugs again.

"Threaten to sideline him if he doesn't start sleeping," Tanker says.

"Tried that one. He said he's not in the military anymore. I can't sideline him," Kelan says. "Now I'd better get myself off to bed. If you have any other suggestions send them to me. Good night Tanker," Kelan leaves.

"She's tried everything she could think of, she's very frustrated. She was hired to baby sit Kadance, yet has had her hands full dealing with us. Tommy would've died on Camp, came close to dying on Planex. She's top notch, yet can't get Jayse to sleep as he should." Amgle says quietly. "Jayse takes his leadership responsibilities seriously. He modeled himself after you." Then he slips off after Kelan. She lets him in. Tanker stands there thinking.

He comes back to the here and now, "See you tomorrow, good night." They all chorus a good night to him as he leaves.

"What's going on Borden? Tommy is not acting right, Jayse not sleeping," Maren asks quietly.

"I don't know. I just don't know, Maren, and that scares me." Borden staring at the door way to the bedrooms.

The morning goes smoothly no more attacks on Kadance. Baron with her escorts witness the castration and deaths of those responsible for her rapes. They all return to HQ emotionally drained.

"Baron," Kadance says. "You went to see the sentence carried out?"

"Yes, Kadance, you're right. Knowing they're never going to be able to hurt me helps. But their deaths change nothing. Maybe I'll be able to sleep better, but that's all," Baron says sadly.

"You're strong Baron. Not everyone could survive what you did. You have to give yourself time and use the councilor here. It may feel like it doesn't help, but it does I promise."

"Have you thought about what you want to do now? You've been redlined, you can't go back to Intel on Gaia," Kadance asks.

"I know, I can't go back to what I was. I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't return Gaia. Someone or someones are traitors. I'd never be able to sleep there again. I just don't know," Baron says softly.

"We're working on finding the traitor/traitors. But if you want to work for Dunworthy Holdings the job is yours. Whichever planet you want. If it's something different from here or Gaia you'll have to accompany us to Gaia, then we'll send you off to wherever you want," Kadance offers. "If you want work elsewhere we'll reference for you. Just let me know. We're leaving tomorrow morning."