9a

Kadance goes up to him and takes his hand earning her dirty looks and growls from both Jayse and Tommy. She doesn't even look at them. "Life isn't fair," she says in a gentle tone. "There are times when you get dumped on and then dumped on some more. Then even more until you don't think you can handle anymore and then you get dumped on again. But there is a law that I truly believe in: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Kadance stops and gathers her thoughts and Candlen looks up at her in hope. Kadance continues, "Life is sweet, Candlen, some times it's hard to find the sweet when the bitter keeps getting thrown at us. But through all the ugly there is beauty. Sometimes it's hard to find and we have to actively look for it.

"Now, I've not seen the action that you all have. I won't pretend that I have, but what you may not have noticed, the civilians helping each other as they leave behind all that they know and trust in the warriors to help them gain back at least some of it. I know that you help each other out.

"To warriors, civilians may be the pain in the hind end that you must protect. That your companies are your families. Let me tell you about civilians: their families mean as much to them as your companies mean to you. That means that they are willing to do what they can to protect and help each other. There are exceptions, both good and bad. Sometimes family members don't get along. Sometimes friends can be more family than families can be. I've seen that within your companies. I see it with Jayse and Tommy. You'd do anything for them and they would do the same for you.

"Not all family members are like that." Here Kadance has to stop as memories of her sister and her uncle intrude. She has the undivided attention of everyone in that room. Those that know her story understand, those that don't think of their own experiences.

"When all hell breaks loose you know who you can count on. So although it's ugly and bad right then there is someone at your side helping you. That is the beauty of life. It's the sweetest of things life can bring and you find it in the ugliest moments life has to offer.

"I've seen complete strangers stand up and help save lives and at times even gave their life to save others in the course of disaster." She takes a moment to wipe her eyes before continuing, "Warriors do the same time after time for civilians. Sometimes with little or no thanks after you save a world. It's not because they aren't thankful, but because they are so shell shocked that they can't.

"That can build and build until it becomes overwhelming. The anger that you aren't appreciated. But the thing is, you are. Should you go back to the places where you successfully helped you'd find that once the people had a chance to come to grips with the changes in their lives that they would thank you.

"What's worse perhaps is the feeling of uselessness now that you are no longer allowed to help in the armed forces." Kadance gives a faint smile. "To be feeling useless causes it's own kind of anger and added to the other it can be overwhelming."

Kadance looks at Candlen sharply. "What makes you think you are useless?" Before Candlen can even speak she continues, "You wouldn't be here unless Borden thought you were the best. That means you're not useless and people are thankful to you. So tell me just what you are angry about? So you can no longer be in the armed forces. You still have the skills that you honed. You're the best so the world or worlds in this case, are wide open to you.

"But just now, I would like you to consider my offer. I want and demand the best for my team. I'm asking you and Rackem both to join. I'd be pleased if you would consider it. But if you decide not too, I understand. Just remember you've got the brains and the skills to do whatever you decide you want to do. No need to be angry for that freedom."

Kadance wearily returns to her chair. Fighting her personal demons while trying to talk Candlen down has exhausted her. She's fighting hard to keep from crying.

"Ma'am," Candlen says to get her attention. When Kadance looks up at him he continues, "I'm not sure what you need a team for and what you're doing, but I would be honored to be a part of it." And Racken nods his head as he echos those sentiments.

Their response brings a faint smile to Kadance, "Well boys you may be regretting that sentiment, but I welcome you both to the team and family. Gen Reuton in his divine wisdom," her words were heavily sarcastic. There was just something about the General that she just didn't like or trust. "Has seen fit to send me on a crusade. My quest-to find and reclaim suiciders." She gestures to her bodyguards and includes them, "As my knight protectors your job is to protect me while I slay/reclaim the beasts that suiciders have become." Her tone has become whimsical although her words are deadly serious.

"So now you know my quest. I offer you a last chance to leave without shame. I don't want anyone here that isn't 100% with me." Her eyes take on a fleeting haunted look.

Rackem says, "Perhaps you didn't slay my beast just now, but it's calmer around you and easier for me to control. I'll stay."

"We'll be going off planet?" Candlen says slowly. Kadance isn't sure if that would be good or bad for him but nods yes.

"Then I'm in. I've been grounded since I was sent here. I would love to travel the stars and visit planets without worrying about the shifters killing the civies."

Kadance gives them a real smile, "Welcome to the family. Jayse is in charge. He, Tommy and Borden are cooking something up for me and I think they'll want your help." She looks over her bodyguards. "I take that back Tommy here is just itching to get you two into the thick of this whatever." She stands up with Jayses help.

She starts walking away then turns back facing her bodyguards, "One last thing, I will not go to that twice damned reception unless I know that the security is trustworthy, that means NO civilians. There are scanners throughout that damned hotel that'll pull my identity once I enter the hotel. I am NOT going to risk my life for that cretin."

Borden smiles, it's a bit on the evil side, as he replies to Kadance's declaration. "Fear not Kadance, we're taking care of it." He waves the two new team members to his side as Kadance, Tommy and Jayse leave the room. He starts filling them in on the fun assignment for the reception.

Looking at Rackem and Candlen he gives an aborted laugh and tells them to forget it. "She's already bonded to Jayse and possibly to Tommy. I wouldn't advise trying to involve yourselves in that mess. They've both received momentos of her displeasure. You saw her smack Jayse on the vid cast. Well last night she did the same to Tommy. You saw the bruise that it left."

"That was from her?" Rackem asks in a slightly sick tone. The bruise had darkened noticeably.

He nods his head to answer Rackem, "It was deserved and had I been a commanding officer I would have had him court martialed for what he did. As for Jayse, he knows better than to kiss a civilian."