18

"Three crew members; two carriers and one in an active state. They'll all be fine now. However, we'll need to alert the planets they've been to as well. Hell we should just have all the planets contacted. It's for the best in the long run. They'll need to do mandatory testing no exceptions. If for some reason the people object then for the safety of all concerned they'll need to go into quarantine." Jayse updates Kadance, the captain and Rueton. "I'd suggest you make it mandatory testing for everyone everywhere. We've found too many cases on board, yet Kadance is the only one from our group to test positive. That means that it's already hit the general populace and that person is a carrier. There's likely to be several if two were found on board here."

"Very likely suspicious deaths were ruled as unknown and dismissed. It may already be too late for several people," Kadance says weakly. "I was fine and then wham, I was down. Have everyone checked that is missing from either school or work. Check all the outlying areas as well. And have the homeless populations checked as well. They often get overlooked but come into direct contact with many people every day."

"We're already on it. Here on Gaia we've already had reports of those cases. We're working overtime on screenings and making the antidote." Rueton says tiredly looking like how Kadance feels. "Your call has kept the panic down and is saving lives."

Kadance forces herself to sit up straighter, "Why wasn't the information allowed out to the medic's and hospitals before? Kelan had never heard of it before."

Reuton holds up his hand, "Peace Kadance, I don't know, but I intend to find out. Biological warfare hadn't been a factor until now. If they start we'll finish it. We've had something ready to go, but we didn't want to be the ones to introduce biological issues but now they've gone and done it. We'll send them a gift from us, that's designed to sterilize their populace. We figure enough fertile ones will remain to keep the race from dying completely but they won't be able to keep attacking us. Maybe that's why the information has been buried. When you bring me a mess you bring me a big one."

Jayse snorts, "At least we brought the solution to the mess too or millions could die, billions before we stopped this."

"I, for one thank you. I'd hate to be the one to kill my wife and kids when I go on furlough next planet fall," the captain says. "The warrior society is clean there and civilians are still being screened. It appears that Planex is clear, we'd have killed everyone there."

"Any word from Dall's group?" Kadance asks resting once more against the pillows on her bed.

"Dall is clear as is all his team. Ship crew had one case active and he's been treated. Celeste western continent hasn't found any cases yet. Dunworthy teams sent to the eastern continent report clear. Haven't reached the survivors yet, they should all be clean or dead," Jayse reports. He rather thinks they are clean, the survivors wouldn't have had any direct contact with the shifters, only the ones left behind to defend would have and they all died.

"What about Jandin?" Kadance asks.

"Three active cases, two carriers among the warriors. Three no, four deaths amongst the civies that we know of that is caused by the parasite." Jayse isn't happy to report the next bit. "They are all Dunworthy Holdings employees. Three other cases are suspected within their social circles." Jayse closes his eyes, "They were all hotel employees. We're guessing that's how Kadance got it. She is very friendly and treats the staff more like family than hired workers."

"What about Gaia, General?" Kadance ignores the unspoken censure in Jayse's voice. But her own voice is pained.

"So far two carriers, at least among the warriors. Possible multiple deaths amongst the civilians." Rueton sounds more tired than ever.