34

"Congratulations boys! I know you have plans with your friends, but we have some little gifts we want to give you." Kadance says as her nephews bound into the HQ of her team. All the team members give the boys a gift.

Tommy of course gives them Alpha perimeter charges and Jayse gives them knives.

"Now I have two gifts for you." She hands them top grade laser guns. "And the second gift. Your mother must have felt that she'd never see you again. After she was killed I found these in her box. I believe she made it just before we went to Planet fall. As you know I was never fortunate enough to meet your father, but I see a great deal of my sister in you and as I've grown to know you I see even more of her than before. I know that she'd be very proud of the men you've become as I believe your father would have been as well." Kadance wipes the tears away and takes a moment to get herself under control before continuing. "He must have been a wonderful man, my sister never got over his loss." She hands them two micro scans. "These are ten years out of date, but Rackem and Candlen's toys that they gave you should make it possible to read these." She gives them both a hug. "I know I'm just a foolish woman, but I cried when I saw her message. You are welcome to your privacy."

They look at each other and nod. "We'll just borrow the kitchen area for a bit," Jade says.

"We don't remember her voice anymore. Thank you Kadance," Jax says softly. The twins quickly exit to the kitchen.

"That is perhaps the best present ever," Jayse whispers to her.

"It wasn't mine to give. It was Faline's and hers alone," Kadance replies just as softly.

"Kadance you need to learn to accept praise when it's due. It's insulting to the giver when you deny the gift. Praise is a gift, learn to accept it," Tommy says gently. "Now I'm wiped so I'm off to bed. Save me some of this wonderful food, I'll eat it tomorrow." He calls out as he rolls out the door. "Oh and tell those two scamps that I'll expect them to join me for lunch, where we will get down to serious work. These injuries may keep me from some aspects of my training but others I can still teach. Let them know I expect them clear headed and ready to work hard. If they are hungover or in anyway muddle minded I'll double their workload." He laughs happily as the door shuts behind him.

Borden opens the door and shouts after him, "That's cruel Tommy!"

"I know," Tommy's voice comes back. "I know."

"This is a side of Tommy I've never seen," Kadance says softly to Jayse.

"That's because he's only like this with his students. He may joke about his toys and his games, but he knows the rules. He takes things very seriously when it comes to teaching. If anyone broke his rules he was out. No exceptions. If Jade and Jax come in tomorrow with muddled heads they're going to wish they weren't born. Once he knows they understand he'll joke with them about things. I think he's planning on riding them pretty hard though. He sees a lot of potential in those boys. Don't be surprised if he teaches them much more than explosives. Tommy takes all the fields to become what he is. He'll be teaching your nephews that as well. They are very likely going to become two of the best ghost men the warrior society will ever see," Jayse explains.

"I know Tommy is good," Kadance says.

Jayse stops her, "No, Stefi, he's not just good, he's the best. Rackem and Candlen are two of the best electronics people you'll find. They can't break Tommy's encryptions. They can't hack him. Amgle, Mareton they're two of intel's best, yet Tommy knows more than they ever will. Tommy is the best. The only reason he's not leading is because he has issues with authority and he detests office work. He intentionally sabotages any chance of promotions for that reason. Yet, he was still in charge of the explosives/demo unit because there was none better. Everyone knows that. The reason no one has ever passed his field test is because they have never learned or understood Tommy's 'secret'. Knowledge is power. Knowing, learning and gathering as much info as possible using all methods possible. They should have acted like he is the enemy and they didn't. So they failed. Tommy is going to ride the twins hard so they don't, he believes they have it in them to be as good or possibly even better than him," Jayse explains.