34a

"Aunt, can we speak to you?" Jade asks with suppressed excitement.

"Of course, I always have time for my two favorite nephews," Kadance replies putting down her comset.

The boys roll their eyes, "Kadance we're your only nephews."

Kadance smiles, "Yes, I know. So what's up?"

"Remember back on Gaia we told you we'd have a surprise for you?" Jax asks.

"Vaguely. It was pushed out of mind due to everything that's happened," Kadance responds slowly.

"Well it's done now. We want to give it to you," Jade says. He goes to their work station and opens a box. Kadance gasps as Jade pulls out a picture.

"The third box," Kadance whispers.

"It was one of the items among the things they sent us from mother," Jax explains. "In it we found some pictures. From those pictures we made this one," he hands Kadance a large framed picture photo of her parents, herself, Jayse, Tommy, her sister, the twins and a man she'd only seen in photos, the boys' father. They had been put together as if they'yd all been sitting for the picture. The setting, the house on Gaia.

Tear swell in Kadance's eyes, "You boys did this?"

They look at her in concern, "Yes, but we thought you'd like it. We didn't mean to make you sad," Jade explains.

Kadance gets up and gives boy a hug. "It's a very happy kind of sad. I'm only sad because I miss them so much. But I'm happy to have this picture. Thank you."

The boys scamper off still uncertain about how smart their gift was. They look over at Jayse and he gives them a nod.

Kadance takes her gift to her room. As her door shuts they hear her sob. Jayse goes in to her, "Do you want to be alone?"

"I miss them so much. They'd be so proud of the boys," Kadance sobs out. Jayse pulls her into his arms.

"I have no doubt of that. They are exceptional young men. But I'm willing to bet they'd be just as proud of you, even the Major. I know the twins are. I know Tommy is. I know I am. From all accounts your parents were very good, wonderful people. They'd have to be, they had two exceptional daughters. Both individually earned their way into the warrior society. One daughter winning the love of a man responsible for saving the life of his Company. Then later giving her own life defending her sister and children, and finding a way to save the Warrior Society.

"The other daughter surviving numerous attempts on her life. Managing to start over time and time again. Surviving life that had become hostile all alone. Overcoming major obstacles becoming an asset to both societies, to the entire Unified Planets. You're cleaning up the mess your Uncle made of their legacy, doing what they'd want you to do while still helping others. All this while dodging more assassination attempts, battles and being pregnant.

"You can hold your head up. We are all blessed to be a part of your family. I know they are proud." Jayse says in comforting ones. "They are always with you," Jayse touches her heart, "here. Always." Kadance just holds onto Jayse and cries. Helpless all he can do is hold her.

"Jayse, we didn't mean to make her cry," Jax says in distress after Jayse comes out.

Jayse smiles at them. "That's okay. It's a stress relief. She's had a good cry and now she's better. It's a wonderful, thoughtful gift. She just misses your mother and grandparents. It is a good gift." The twins relax and get back to work.

"Jayse, we really need to get this contract signed before tomorrow. I can't make it until I know her conditions." Lighten says hesitantly as Jayse finishes with the twins.

Jayse stops, he rubs his face, "Sorry Lighten. Timing is always off. Wait until my wife comes out." Jayse thinks it over and gives a small smile. "It might even work in your favor. The twins have gotten her in a very sentimental mood. But you'll have to make your move quickly. She plans on visiting Tommy soon."

"Thanks, Jayse, I appreciate your help," Lighten says fervently.

"Don't thank me yet, Colonel," Jayse nods towards Kadance. "She still has to talk to you." Jayse walks over to the electronics and gets back to work.

Lighten takes a breath and steps towards Kadance. Kadance sees him coming and sighs. She walks to the chair and sits. She gestures to the couch as Lighten nears. "Have a seat Colonel. Please forgive me, I haven't intentionally delayed things but I'm not up to lengthy dialogues or negotiations. I want Captain Landon assigned to carry us until we reach Gaia. Complete autonomy with top clearance as before. I demand respect and trust that I'm actually doing what I report I'm doing. And finally," she looks him straight on and smiles, "you. I want you as our liaison. I refuse to deal directly with Command again. I want you assigned to deal with them. You'd retain your active status, just be grounded and permanently stationed with us. Don't worry though, my team might help you on the intel side of things.

"Those are my conditions Colonel. Are they satisfactory?" Kadance inquires.

The Colonel sighs, "They are all reasonable requests, even my role, done. Are you sure you want me though?" He inquires not sure if he should be flattered or not.

Kadance nods indicating that she was most definitely sure that she wants him. "I know you and you aren't afraid of me. I need someone dealing full time with Command not afraid of me. Someone not as abrasive as I and my team can be. Get it written up and I'll sign it tonight. We leave early tomorrow morning. Better make sure your orders get sent before then. I won't be able to buy you all the lovely toys my team has, but you will be part of our team. Remember that Colonel, we are a team, a family. I don't envy you trying to be a part of us and remaining apart. I believe you're up to it though." Kadance smiles and stands up. "Make sure you always wear your body armor Colonel, people keep trying to kill me. As my husband keeps telling me, life is never boring here." Then she leaves to visit Tommy. The Colonel leans back against the couch feeling like he'd just been run over.

"Welcome to the team Lighten," Jayse says holding out his hand. Lighten takes it and Jayse helps him up. "She can be overwhelming sometimes. You know you got off lucky."

Lighten tries to speak and can't. He clears his throat and tries again. "So little, she asked for so little. She could have demanded anything." Lighten still stares at the door Kadance had exited, still in shock. "Command won't believe this."

"Your job is to get them to see Kadance as their ally. Rueton sabotaged us pretty badly. It hurt Kadance far more than she let on. She's sacrificing or willing to sacrifice everything for us, civies and warriors alike and High Command doesn't trust her or us. That needs to stop now Colonel, make them see her, not as the monster time bomb Rueton made her to be, but the woman working her everything to save us all." Jayse says intensely earnest.