Chapter One "Goodbyes"

Lying across the floor of our old tree house I found myself staring out of one of the windows, watching the azure sky turn to a dusty pink.  I was ruminating about this past year and my feelings of apprehension as more than just the lazy days of summer were coming to a close.  I felt as if my happiness was fading too.

            Faint sounds of laughter coming from the house tickled my ears and while I knew I should be attending to my duties, I just had to escape the joy.  You see this was the day my youngest brother, Jonathon, was married to Emily Vaughn, my best friend.  While I was indeed happy for them, I was sad for myself as I would be losing my two closest companions.

            The ceremony was beautiful and just as the weddings of my older brothers, completely befitting of the couple.  It was not as pompous as Freddie's marriage to Patience Stanhope, who as a keen member of Society needed an elaborate ceremony in the most stylish area of Kent.  Nor was it as subdued as Arthur's marriage to Lucy Beaumont, although that was more owing to Arthur's brash and impetuous nature as their courtship was the shortest our family has ever seen.  No, this was sweet and perfect as Jonathon and Emily's years of friendship culminated in a fine romance.  I guess I could count myself lucky to be an integral part of their courtship as I heard bits and pieces from both of them, yet I must have been blind to have not seen it coming over the years. 

            This past year was a whirlwind as we prepared for big day and tonight they will be leaving on their honeymoon.  Again members of my family would be leaving me behind.  So instead of being amidst of the merrymaking, I was sulking in our favorite childhood retreat.  I was sure that no one would miss me until they were well on their way.

            "You're pouting, aren't you?" the sudden sound of my eldest brother's voice startled me but I did my best not to make a sound.  I kept still and held my breath hoping that he would go back to the house or continue looking for me elsewhere.  "I can wait out here longer than you can hold your breath, Magpie," Freddie said with a sigh.

            "I'm not holding my breath," I muttered as I sat up and rested my chin on the window sill.  Freddie was leaning against one of the thick branches that poked through the tree house's walls.  "Why are you out here?  Shouldn't you be saying farewell to the happy couple?"

            "Shouldn't you?" he retorted looking up at me.  He was ten years my senior but we were quite close.  Not only did we share our birth month but aside from being my brother and guardian, he was a good friend.  "I know this is difficult for you, Margaret, but you should wish them well.  If they leave before you do, you'll feel worse."

            "How could you possibly know that?" I countered as I tried to control the pout that was obviously forming.

            "Why must you always fight me, Margaret?  Won't you just accept that I'm older and wiser?" he asked walking around the tree to the ladder.

            "I accept the older part," I sassed as I stepped onto the grass, "I'm not sure about the wiser."  He inhaled loudly through his nose and without looking I knew the face he was making.  His left eyebrow would be arched high and his mouth a tight line, preventing him from laughing or smiling.  I swept my hands over my dress before turning to him, "What will I do without them?"

            Freddie put his arm around my shoulders, "You're not losing them . . . not really," he said with a squeeze, "besides you'll always have me . . . and Patience."  I turned to him on that, "What?" he asked noting the contempt that was on my face, "Patience is there for you in her own way."  I let out a loud sigh as I looked over the grounds as we walked back towards the house, "Well, you'll always have me and Isabella."

            "So I am losing my two best friends and what I have left is my guardian . . . "

            "Brother," Freddie corrected, "brother first."

            "Fine, I'll have my brother who is ten years my senior and my niece who is more than ten years younger.  Just imagine the fun we shall have," I said with exasperation.

            "If you keep that up, you will not be joining us for tomorrow's tea party," he huffed raising his chin into the cooling night air.  The two of us broke out laughing and we  quickened our pace back to the house.

            I always thought that our home was one of the nicest estates in Somerset, not that I ever travelled farther than the little village nearby, but tonight Thornbrook Hall looked even more splendid.  The servants were placing candles in the windows and with all of the wedding decorations still on display, it was a vision.

            As Freddie and I rounded the corner to the front of the house we saw the carriage making its way down the road that lead to our house.  My brother gave me a little shove towards the entrance and when I turned to glare at him, he stared me down.  Yes, part of me knew he was right, but I still did not wish to endure the pain of saying goodbye.

            "There you are!" Jonathan smiled widely when he saw me, "Where have you been?" He hugged me tightly, "I was worried that you weren't going to see us off," he whispered.

            "I was just getting some fresh air," I smiled looking up at him. I had never seen Jonathan as happy as he was at this moment.

            As he released me he turned and set a gentle hand on Emily's shoulder to get her attention, "She's been found," he whispered rather loudly to her. When she turned to us her face lit up with a smile. My mind swam in memories of all the smiles we shared throughout the years, but this was by far the happiest.

            "Margaret!" she shrilled as she too hugged me, "I told Jonathan that I would not leave until I got to see you one last time."

            "Please don't say last," I asked, "I could not bear if this is the last time we meet . . . " I started, I could feel tears welling in my eyes. "You have to come back to Somerset," I said as I clutched her closer to me. "I don't know what I shall do without you."

            "Oh, Margaret," she sighed moving to look into my eyes, "there is a whole world of adventure waiting for you."

            "There is no adventure to be had without you two," I sniffled.

            "Just wait," she smiled as she dabbed my cheek with her handkerchief, "you will find your perfect companion, just as I have." Emily stood back from me and took Jonathan's arm, "When we return, I expect that you shall be embarked on your greatest adventure yet."

            "I have no idea what you're talking about," I stammered wiping my eyes.

            "Love," Emily whispered in my ear as she kissed my cheek. "You are my dearest friend, Margaret, and you always will be," she said happily. With that Jonathan lead her outside to where the carriage was waiting. I stood back by the staircase as the rest of the house followed them into the warm August evening. I sat on the steps and listened to everyone wishing them well. As I heard the driver crack his whip, I quickly stood and made my way to my bedroom. I opened the window and watched as the carriage melted into the darkness, taking my youngest brother and best friend with it.