Chapter Twenty-Six "Violets"

Lady Edgehill lead the way into the parlor with her usual commanding stride where the table was already set for tea.  She stopped to pick up a pad of paper and turning she began to ask, "Should we see if your sister would like to join us?"

            I admit to not really hearing a word she said as Thomas took my small bouquet of violets and tried tucking a few of the blossoms into my hair, "They don't want to stay," he laughed in a barely audible whisper.  I had difficulty concentrating on anything but his gentle touch; I bit the corner of my lower lip as I watched him, giving the task his full attention.  When he turned me to give him access to the curls at the back of my head, I was greeted by Leah's cheerful grin as she stood there watching.  Her smile broadened and her eyebrows raised as I smiled back shyly.  I lowered my eyes to the floor, inhaling deeply as I felt his fingers trying to weave the delicate flowers into some curls.

            "Leah, dear," I heard Lady Edgehill say as she swept next to her daughter, "why don't you go play with your dolls?"  I looked up then and Thomas must have stopped as well because everything was still.  "I'm sure this won't be of much interest to you," she said caressing her daughter's cheek.

            "I'm fine, Mother," she said meekly, "I rather enjoy spending time with Miss Woodbridge."

            "As do I," Thomas whispered into my ear as he reached around me to give me what was left of my violets.

            "That's all well and good, Leah, but we're going over necessities for her debut . . . "

            "Leah will debut next year," Thomas argued, "surely she can stay and get an idea of what's to come."  I felt a gentle warmth glide over my skin and turned to see his hand softly run down my arm, as if it were natural.

            "Leah will debut when she's ready," Lady Edgehill corrected, "or more appropriately, when I think she's ready."  She stepped away from us then, as if that ended any conversation.  I looked to Leah and saw her fighting the urge to cry, but she was obviously hurt by her mother's words.  "I will call you when tea is ready."

            I watched Leah run out of the room and up the stairs, I wanted to go after her but felt glued to Thomas.  "Mother," Thomas breathed out, "how can you treat her like that?"

            "Leah's fine," she waved absentmindedly in the air, "besides I will make it up to her later.  Right now we have more important things to discuss such as Miss Woodbridge's debut, getting her noticed at court and then the engage . . . "

            "Mother!" Thomas interrupted, "I think you're getting ahead of yourself . . . because you're definitely ahead of me."  He fell into the chair with his hand clutching his forehead.

            "Oh, that's right," she said lowly, "Thomas, your father and I do need to talk with you sometime soon."  She smiled sweetly at us and I looked to Thomas who just appeared puzzled.  He must not know about the contract, I thought to myself.  Suddenly he was even more endearing to me than he had been moments ago.  I sat on the sofa and nuzzled the remnants of my bouquet, Perhaps all is not lost, I thought.

* * * * *

            Thomas excused himself for the afternoon by the time Lady Edgehill's seamstress arrived with two assistants in tow.  He promised his mother to return for supper and left me with one of his cheeky grins.  As the guests set up their wares I offered to fetch Leah for tea.  I wasn't sure if the lady heard me or not as she was busily rattling off items on her list to the tailor, but I set out to retrieve my young friend. 

            Leah was not in her room although there were a few dolls lying on the floor, looking as if they were violently thrown.  I took a deep breath and headed towards the other staircase hoping to find her in her sanctuary.  The door was slightly ajar so I knocked lightly as I entered, "Leah, are you in here?" I asked.  There was no answer but I decided to look around.  Once I closed the door quietly and made my way towards the easel I heard a stifled sob, "Leah?" I asked again looking about the room.

            "Are you alone?" I heard her voice quaver before I saw the top of her head looking over one of the crates at me.

            "Of course," I tried to smile, "I wouldn't come in here otherwise."

            "Did Mother send you?" she asked standing up and wiping her eyes.

            "Not quite," I answer truthfully offering her the handkerchief from my pocket.  "But it is tea time and I really don't want to face it alone."  I tried to give her a hopeful smile and looked at me oddly.

            "Thomas must have left . . . "

            "Well he did but I still would have come for you," I answered, "I need someone to help me from being draped in pink again."  She blew her nose and looked up at me, "It's not my color," I laughed.

            "I thought you looked quite nice in that one pink dress," she sighed.

            "So I've been told, but it's not really me," I said stepping out into the hallway, "now you would look beautiful in pink."

            Leah looked at me and smiled, "do you think so?"

            I looked over her delicate features, looking so much like her mother, including the rosy blonde curls that would not be tamed, "I do," I answered looking into her blue eyes, "but then I imagine any color would look good on you."

            We stopped in my room so I could leave my violets somewhere safe. I sat at the dressing table for a moment to see what kind of mess Thomas made of my hair, "I think you would look lovely in violet," she smiled shyly looking at my reflection, "it would bring out the green in your eyes."

            "You think so?" I smiled back noting that somehow he was able to get the tiny flowers to stay, "I've never worn that color much either . . . I've never been around so many violets before."

            "I think they suit you, Margaret," said as she sat on my bed looking at the handkerchief in her hands, "Who is P.S.?"

            My eyes left my reflection and found her immediately, "That would be Faith and Patience's brother, Percival Stanhope." 

            Leah looked back at me, "But you gave it to me."

            "Yes," I answered, "because he had given it to me."

            Leah stood and walked over to me, she stood behind me looking into the mirror, "Do you love him?"  The question caught me by surprise and I stared back at her, unflinching.

            "I don't know," I answered, "but it really doesn't matter . . . not with the contract being settled."

            "I'm sorry, Margaret," her voice was small and frail, "I want you to be happy."

            "So do I," I cheered as I stood and put my arm around her shoulder as we left the room, "Now perhaps you can answer a question for me."  She looked up at me and nodded, still holding the handkerchief in her hands.  "Does Thomas know about the contract?"

            "I don't think so," she explained, "he hasn't been around much since it happened.  I mean here around our parents."

            We stood just outside of the parlor now, I could hear Lady Edgehill fawning over some baubles.  "What do you think his reaction would be when he finds out?" I asked Leah.

            "Not good," she whispered.

            I smiled to myself, "Perhaps we should tell him then . . . "