Chapter Thirty-Three "A Moment Alone"

After an hour of playing cards Freddie finally succeeded in getting Thomas to take a glass of brandy.  I watched as my brother eyed him closely, he drank slowly continuing to enjoy the game.  Once Thomas finished the glass Freddie tried to get him another but he politely declined and instead concentrated on the hand.  I caught Freddie's eye and so I raised my brows in question.  His reply was a single arched brow and then his gaze returned to Thomas. I took it to mean that Freddie's scrutiny was not over.

            I decided that instead of fleeing to my room, I would wait and catch Thomas alone for a moment, if he'd let me.  I wanted to talk to him.  I wanted to apologize for Freddie's insistence with the brandy.  I wanted to let him finish telling me what he had tried yesterday.  I needed to know if he knew about the contract.  I took a deep breath and tried to figure out how I could get him alone so we could talk.  Looking about the room everyone was busy and there was nothing I could really use as a distraction.  I stood and began taking a turn around the room, slowly, pretending to take an interest in paintings and vases.  Mostly I'd try to sneak a peek at the table to see if Thomas was looking.  I had no idea what I'd do then, but if I could at least get him to notice me, it would be a start.

            Two full turns around the room and he had not glanced in my direction at all.  I listened to their idle talk while they played as well as that of Lady Edgehill and Patience talking about upcoming events.  I tuned them out quickly and tried to concentrate on what the players were saying, but there was nothing I could say to join the conversation.  Finally I stood behind Leah so I would be across from Thomas, "Excuse me, Lord Edgehill?" I started as I kept my eyes on my host, "Would it be all right if I borrowed a book or two from your library?"

            "Of course, my dear," he smiled, "my library is at your disposal."

            "Thank you," I smiled and gave a slight curtsey before I looked at my brother.  Freddie just gave me a nod and resumed the game.  I lingered for a moment until Thomas finally looked up at me.  His eyes lifted slowly and it was like time began to crawl.  I wished that I could express to him what I wanted silently, instead all I did was smile and bat my eyes a bit.  I felt incredibly foolish but what else could I do?  His face remained calm, I could not tell if he picked up on anything, so I started to leave the room.

            "Ha!" Freddie laughed as he laid down his hand, "Finally!"

            "Good game," Lord Edgehill congratulated, "at least we finally won one hand.  Shall we continue tomorrow perhaps?"

            "Why not now?" I heard Leah ask.

            "Because it is getting late, young lady," her father replied.  I grinned to myself, sure that Leah was pouting.  I listened as I stood in the hallway, there was some quiet talk but I couldn't make out much.

            "I think I shall retire," Patience announced, "thank you for a very pleasant evening."

            "Let me help you," Freddie said.  I took that as a sign that I should get to the library and I quickened my pace.  I heard them reach the stairs, Patience was talking quietly and as they climbed, I could no longer hear them. 

            I took my time looking over the bookcases, all of them filled with beautiful bound copies of literature.  I let my fingers trace along the spines as I tried to find something of interest.  I would have to return with something at least.  I held the candelabra close as some of the volumes were old and the titles hard to read.

            "The third shelf down," a voice called out in the quiet.  I turned and there was Thomas lingering in the doorway, "the fifth book from the end," he nodded in my direction, "That's the book you want."