Chapter Forty-Four "Facing Percival"

We sat in a somewhat awkward silence for awhile. Both of us needing the time to come to grips with what was shared. I could not comprehend how Freddie must have felt over these past few years, keeping such secrets to himself. I can understand why he did, just after he lost a son, he agreed to take care of me while our parents were to take a yearlong anniversary voyage . . . only to have their ship be lost at sea. He went from being a brother and friend to also my parent. Isabella came the year after and still he shouldered all of this burden in solitude. True that I cannot think so ill of Patience now knowing her story and what she has suffered, but I am also fully aware that I would not be in this situation if she had not dallied in what might have been between me and her brother.

            The carriage slowed to a stop in front of our townhouse. The rain was still falling and part of me was glad. Perhaps it could mask the tears that were shed during our ride here. As we stepped out, Freddie stopped me, "Let's have a look at you," he coaxed. He lifted my chin and looked at my face, "Good, no more tears," he smiled, "It wouldn't be right for us to go in looking like we're miserable."

            "Of course, let's wait until we're inside and then all of us will be miserable," I retorted.

            "Margaret," he sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose, "It's not going to be pleasant, but it's for the best . . . for everyone." He looked at me with a nod, offered his arm and we walked to the door.

            It was odd being received at our own house, but it was much easier this way than trying to chase down wherever Percival and Faith could have gone. As we entered the drawing room Faith stood, she looked solemn but well. She curtsied to us and gestured to the sofa as Jensen went to get some refreshments, "Thank you, Mr. Woodbridge," she said, "It was very kind of you to let us stay here."

            "Of course, Miss Stanhope, it is the least we could do," Freddie said taking a seat, "Where is Mr. Stanhope?" I felt my body tighten at the politeness we were using.

            "Percival has been in the library since yesterday," Faith said looking down at her hands. I noticed that she held the handkerchief from Mr. Winchester. "He has not come out at all, even when I pleaded." The room became deafeningly quiet as the three of us sat there. The soft rattling of the spoons on the tray that Jensen brought in was all the noise that was heard.

            "Perhaps if I call on him?" Freddie suggested as he stood.

            "I apologize, Mr. Woodbridge, but I think there is only one person that he may listen to right now." I felt both of them look towards me and how I wished I could just evaporate into thin air.

            I stood and nodded my acceptance before I made my way to the library. I heard Freddie try to make pleasantries with Faith by the time I stood at the library doors. I took a deep breath, knocked twice and entered.

            "For the last time, I don't want any tea!" It was Percival's voice, but it had changed. It was rough and callous, so unlike the voice I knew.

            I closed the door and leaned against it, trying to figure out what to say. I saw his hand clutching a brandy glass on the arm of the chair. Aside from that I only saw his legs as they stretched out towards the fireplace. "I . . . I am so sorry, Mr. Stanhope."

            "So you have come to break with me?" he asked taking a drink, draining the glass.

            "I have come to apologize, Mr. Stanhope," I said walking past the back of his chair and to the window at the far side of the room, "I hope that you can accept that . . . and my friendship."