Chapter Fourteen "Changes"

Wednesday morning seemed to have come too soon when our house maid, Maria, entered my bedroom to pull back the draperies, "Good morning, Miss," she curtsied with a smile, "Mrs. Woodbridge would like to remind you to wear the cream dress with pink flowers and green pelisse."

            "Thank you, Maria," I sighed, "I am aware. Is Mrs. Woodbridge awake already?"

            "Not just awake, Miss, but she has taken some tea and scones while Michael and Richard have brought down her trunks."

            "Trunks?" I asked as I brushed out my hair.

            "Yes, Miss, there are two," Maria quickly straightened my bed before heading to the wardrobe, "She is happily excited this morning." I sat staring into the mirror as Maria laid out my attire for the day. My mind was wandering when a quick two knocks startled me and Patience entered my room.

            "Oh, wonderful, you're awake," Patience smiled brightly, "I was thinking that when you set your hair, leave a few loose curls about the neck . . . " she held my hair up in her hand and let a few soft curls fall, "like this. I think it becomes you very much."

            I was struck speechless for a moment, it is not like her to pay me compliments, "Thank you, Patience," I said lowly, feeling a bit of pink in my cheeks.

            "Come now, Margaret, you do know you are a very striking young woman," she let my hair fall about my shoulders again, "Surely many men have told you."

            "I cannot say . . . "

            "Percival has told you, I'm sure." I could not tell how she meant that but I also could not fight the embarrassing blush that filled my face, "Once we are done here he will have to fight an army's worth of men to get your attention." I just stared back at her through the mirror, "Well, that is all, I will leave you to finish getting ready. Do help her with her hair, Maria." With that she left as quickly as she entered.

            "I thought you said she was happily excited this morning, Maria?"

            "She was, Miss, just an hour ago I thought that nothing could dampen her spirits."

            "I think something must have happened . . . " I sighed as she started pinning my hair, "and possibly soured her esteem of me once again."

            "I don't see how, Miss Woodbridge, we have had no callers at such an hour . . . " Maria was trying to cheer me, I could tell.

            A few quick yet light knocks interrupted, "Margaret, may I enter?" Faith whispered.

            "Please do," I leaned forward only to have Maria reposition me so she could continue working. "Oh Faith, you look so lovely!" She must have awakened earlier than I as she was already fully dressed in a reddish orange dress with a decorative hem that reminded me of tapestry. It made her skin glow warmly and the way her hair fell, loosely up with curls cascading to the nape of her slender neck, she looked like she belonged in one of those royal paintings that hung in the great galleries. I was sure to pale in comparison as a daisy to a rose.

            "What has happened?" she asked taking the seat next to my dressing table, "I just passed Patience in the hall and she has a bee in her bonnet!"

            "I do not know, Maria had told me she was in an excellent mood."

            "She was when I first went down this morning, I wonder what could have happened?" Faith looked over me and smiled, "well, we mustn't worry about that, I am sure whatever has ruined her mood will be out of her mind by the time we have tea with the Edgehills."

            "I hope so, we were getting on well yesterday."

            "I have never seen you wear your hair like that, Margaret," Faith reached out and moved one of the curls alongside my neck, "it suits you very well."

            "Mrs. Woodbridge suggested it," Maria piped in with a nod.

            "Did she now?" Faith looked up at her and then turned to me, "Patience has an excellent eye for beauty." I knew her compliment was genuine but it still made me uneasy. I had never been a great beauty but always my brothers' little sister who would climb trees and chase butterflies. My mother died before I became of age, there was no one to help me with more feminine pursuits. Freddie and Patience became my guardians but she had never taken much interest in me until recently. My mind fell back to wondering what had disrupted her good mood and why she had mentioned Percival.

            It was indeed a light brunch of fruits, cheeses and some ham. Hardly a word was spoken and the loudest noises came from the stirring of teacups, I felt guilty although I had no idea why.  As the clock struck eleven we were ready for the carriage. Patience entered first and Faith sat across from her. I took the seat beside Faith hoping for some camaraderie during the journey through town. She smiled at me as I sat next to her but Patience just stared out the window . . . as she did for most of the trip.

            When we were nearing the center of town Faith tried to make conversation, "I wonder how Percival is doing," she said looking at her sister, "I hope his review does not keep him away from us for too long."

            "Our brother will be fine soon enough," Patience said sharply. She cast a quick glance at me and then eyed Faith before she turned back to the window.

            Whatever unsaid warning that look had made Faith change the topic, "Perhaps the Edgehills will be kind enough to introduce us to their circle."

            "We can hope," I smiled at Faith but after that the silence descended again. We accepted our fate and joined the reticence. In the hours that passed my mind churned. Thoughts about Percival's missed companionship, the new friendship found in Faith as well as the alliance I was finally forming with Patience . . . that all swirled in my head along with her sudden change in mood and I wondered what had I done?