Chapter Forty-Six "Riding with Lord Edgehill"

"Ah," Lord Edgehill smiled, "we were beginning to wonder if you were coming after all."

            "Oh, I wouldn't miss it," I smirked at Leah, "it will be lovely just to chat on our way over . . . "

            "Drat," Leah stomped her foot, "I forgot that I'm supposed to help Sarah with her painting today." She looked up at her father, "I'm sorry, but I did promise."

            "I'm sure Sarah will understand," Lord Edgehill said, "I thought you wanted to get Alice with me."

            "I do, Father, but a promise . . . and you will have Miss Edgehill with you," she smiled a cunning little smile, "and I shall be here when you return!" Leah pulled her father's arm until he was close enough for her to kiss his cheek.

            "Well then it is just you and I, Miss Woodbridge, unless you have remembered an obscure promise at the last minute?" he offered as Leah ran off down the hall.

            "With all of my companions otherwise engaged, you have my undivided attention," I curtsied.

            Lord Edgehill let his mouth relax into and easy lopsided smile, much like the one I've seen grace Thomas' face, and he offered his arm, "Shall we?" I looped my arm through his and followed him to the carriage. He set the basket beside him on the seat and I sat across from him. Once he tapped the roof and we were on our way he looked at me pensively, "You know my household has gotten topsy-turvy since you've arrived, Miss Woodbridge."

            "Then I should apologize," I said lowering my eyes.

            "Did I say it was a bad thing?" he laughed, "No, it is quite refreshing. My son has cut back on his . . . how do I put this . . . vices?"

            "I think that will suffice," I nodded.

            "He has been home more and attentive. I think he and his sister have even been conspiring on some occasions," he glanced at me with a cocked eyebrow. My reaction must have been what he was after because he continued, "I'll take that as a yes . . . as well as knowing the why."

            "I'm sorry, my Lord?"

            "Oh stop that infernal "Lord" talk," he scolded, "If you will not call me Gideon, Mr. Edgehill is good enough for me." He let out sigh, "You do realize that we only inherited the title because my uncle had no children . . . "

            "I did not know, Mr. Edgehill," he gave me a queer look and then nodded his acceptance.

            "Yes, and the title with all of its perks, has taken my wife . . . and my children . . . well, my son at least . . . "

            "I don't think that you give your son enough credit, Sir," I said bowing my head as I interrupted, "Just since my time with your family, he seems quite remarkable . . . but he does not let many catch a glimpse of that side of him."

            Lord Edgehill nestled back into his seat and crossed his arms as he watched me explain, "Thomas is remarkable?"

            "Perhaps the wrong words, Sir, but yes," I took a deep breath and went on, "He surprises me most often . . . doing things that I think would be out of character for him. The drastic change from the first time I met him to that first dinner at your home . . . to the days after the arrangement was made . . . "

            "Miss Woodbridge, you do realize that your brother came at me to annul the contract?"

            "I do, and I asked him not to," I asserted.