Chapter Twelve "Faith"

Patience rose from her seat triumphantly and made her way to my mother's writing desk, intent on answering the Edgehills immediately.  I sat there stoically, watching.  When I turned to Faith her eyes exuded hope and she smiled widely, even her nose crinkled a little.  "Come, Margaret," Faith said eagerly as she grabbed my hand, "Let's begin to choose our dresses!"  She pulled me along to the staircase, "Oh I do hope they will have a ball while we are there!"  She seemed to be talking overdramatically, I was right behind her after all.  It was if she wanted the entire house to hear her.  "That would be perfect to make more connections."

            It wasn't until we got to my room that she unhanded me.  "Are . . . are you interested in Mr. Edgehill?" I asked trying to make sense of her sudden change in demeanor.

            "Well, he is quite desirable, but I want a title," she said opening my wardrobe and pulling out one of my gowns.

            "But I thought you said his parents are Lord and Lady Edgehill . . . surely he will get the title as well."

            "Yes, but that's not what I mean," she twirled around in front of me holding the dress against her, "this moves nicely."  She stopped and held it up against me as she looked me over, "and it is a good color for you too . . . "

            I took the dress from her hands and tossed it on the bed, "Then what do you mean?"

            "Oh Margaret," she said with exasperation, "this is your first Season and you really haven't been part of Society before this . . . "

            "So?" I scoffed, "I think I understand what you mean by a title!  If Mr. Edgehill is such a fine match then why aren't you interested in him?"  I sat on my bed with my arms folded, "Besides isn't this your second Season and you are still unattached?"  As soon as the words left my lips I could tell that I should have swallowed them instead.

            Faith turned on her heels and stared at me, her eyes no longer hopeful, "I am unattached because I have yet to find the perfect match for me."  She said each syllable slowly.

            "Then you have had offers?"  Why wasn't I stopping?

            She eyed me with a mix of anger and frustration, "As a matter of fact I have!  And once you have received an offer . . . just one will do . . . then we can discuss my attachments or lack thereof!"  With that she stormed out of my room and hastily made her way down the hall.  The loud slam of her door made me doubly sure that I should not have said anything.

            I returned the dress to my wardrobe and looked around my room.  I wished that Freddie were here, but he said he wouldn't come until the hunting season was over.  I also longed for Percival's presence.  He did promise that he'd return once he finished with ship's business.  What I would give to have him here now.  Maybe he knew a reason not to accept the Edgehills' invitation or maybe he could accompany us so that if . . . I caught myself.  If I continued thinking of him as a rescuer of sorts, that would not do.  Percival was not for me.

            I spent the next few hours writing furiously in my journal along with some letters to my cousins letting them know I was in London.  Once I had exhausted my frustration I found my way to Faith's room and knocked gently.  "Yes?" her voice answered shakily.

            "I wanted to apologize," I said at the door.  I heard some rumbling and the sound of a drawer closing before she opened the door.

            "Yes?" she said, there were faint trails of tears down her cheeks.

            "I am so sorry," I started, "this is just not my world . . . and I'm being forced into it.  I know nothing about you and I had no right to say such things."