Chapter Thirty-Two "Freddie's Game"

I stepped out from the carriage and looked at the Edgehill's London home again, I was more nervous now than I was the first day I arrived.  It felt like such a long time since then, but in truth it's only been a few weeks.  I looked at Freddie and his easy grin was gone, he inhaled deeply and offered me his arm with resignation.  I wondered if I shouldn't have told him about those incidents. 

            He said nothing to me as we entered, actually he barely spoke to me since we left our family townhouse.  Just looking at his face set so sternly I felt very much like a child again . . . and a naughty child at that.  He stopped and helped me remove my bonnet as well as my pelisse, still not saying a word.  I was overcome with the feeling that I was a great disappointment to him and all I wanted was some semblance of my brother of old to look at me and smile. I stood there waiting and hoping.  "Come along, Margaret," he said offering his arm, still nothing but stoicism.

            As we walked towards the parlor I was stunned to see all of the Edgehills as well as Patience waiting for us.  Lord Edgehill was hidden behind a newspaper in corner while Thomas and Leah were huddled together over the table going over something of great interest.  Lady Edgehill and Patience were sitting together, both talking quietly and disregarding the needlework they had in their laps.  We stopped just inside the doorway, a move I have always disliked because I never cared for the excessive attention it brought, "Good evening," Freddie announced, "We're back."

            "Oh, Freddie!" Patience smiled as she got to her feet but my brother let go of me and met her quickly so she would return to the chair, "It's been hours," she said.  I watched as he kissed her temple and it looked as if he whispered something to her but my attention was caught by the two sets of blue eyes looking at me followed by sly smiles.

            "I am very glad to have you back, Miss Woodbridge," the lady said coming to meet me.  I tore my eyes away from Thomas and Leah just as they were leaning close and talking to each other once more. "I do hope that you won't worry me like that again,"  I looked at Lady Edgehill, she had a cunning look on her face.

            "I apologize if I gave you any concern," I said lowering my head a little.  Freddie stood and cleared his throat again, pulling all of my attention to him.  He just held my gaze for the moment.  The lady gave my elbow a squeeze before she returned to her chair and continued working on her embroidery.

            "Would you care for a brandy, Mr. Woodbridge?" Lord Edgehill asked as he folded his paper.  He looked to my brother as he began to fix one for himself.

            "Yes, thank you," Freddie smiled moving towards him, "What about you Mr. Edgehill?  Would you also like a brandy?"  I held my breath, I knew what Freddie was doing.

            "No, thank you," Thomas replied as he stood, "I am fine right now."  Leah came and took my hand, she lead me to the sofa.  She watched me curiously as I took in Freddie's little game.

            "Oh this is very fine," Freddie said theatrically turning from Lord Edgehill, "Are you sure, Thomas?  This must be one of the finest bottles I had ever tasted."

            Everyone looked at Freddie, but his eyes trailed from Thomas to me, then back again.  I wanted the sofa to swallow me.  I felt Leah's finger tap my hand and when I turned to her, she raised her brows and mouthed the words "What is going on?"  I could only shake my head and fight the embarrassment I felt.

            "I am sure," Thomas said with a smile, "perhaps after supper."  With that he picked up the newspaper and disappeared behind it. 

            My stomach turned in knots.  He had to know why Freddie was acting so.  It could only mean that I told him about the drunken incidents when Thomas had acted so lewdly.  I wanted to apologize for the scene, but how could I?  I looked at Leah and she gave me a small grin before she went to sit beside her brother.  I felt a wedge forming between us and I recalled what Leah had tried to tell me the previous night, that I didn't need to tell Freddie everything.  If only it was that simple, I had never kept a secret from Freddie.  He was the one I could tell anything and he would never hold it against me.  How could I keep this from him?

* * * * *

            After supper I just wanted to retreat to my room and hide for the rest of the evening, especially if my brother was going to continue to try to put a drink in Thomas' hand.  I knew if I said anything to Freddie he would say that he's doing it for me, and I knew that would be true.  I sat on the sofa reading, I would do so until it felt as if I had been there long enough that my leaving would not seem out of place.

            "That reminds me, Miss Woodbridge," Lady Edgehill said abruptly, "The seamstress will be here on Monday for your fitting, we must have your gown ready for your debut."

            "Already?" I asked, mostly to myself.

            "Well, yes," she laughed, "we will need several between now and the time that you'll wear it.  That too is coming soon."  I looked about the room, Patience was smiling at me, it made me uneasy.  I turned to the table where Lord Edgehill and Freddie were playing Whist with Thomas and Leah.  They were all completely engrossed in the game.  I felt abandoned and alone as the wolves were circling.