Chapter Sixty-One "The Burden of Tea"

When we returned to the house, Lord and Lady Edgehill were waiting for us at the tea table.  The three of us reluctantly entered the room, only Alice running in excitedly but she soon hid under Lord Edgehill's chair and fell asleep.  "Well, come in!" the lady exuded most enthusiastically, "we've been waiting."  Her smile was tight and seemed unnatural.

            "Am I invited this time?" Leah inquired and I set Jasper on the sofa.

            "Of course you are," Lord Edgehill scoffed holding his arm out towards his daughter, "why wouldn't you be?"  Leah looked reluctantly towards her mother as she sat next to him.

            "Besides, I invite you to tea with us, Leah," Isaac said holding a chair out for me, "and since it's been a wonderful day for me so far, I claim that right."

            "I'm so glad you feel that way, Thomas," the lady crowed, "because there's some important matters to discuss."

            "Victoria," Lord Edgehill sighed rubbing his forehead, "Can't we just have one day without plans or planning?"

            "Of course not, Gideon, if I had not planned well, we wouldn't be here."  Just the mocking tone of her voice began to agitate me and I let my fingers stretch under the table.  Isaac must have noticed for he soon grabbed my hand and brought it to his lips.  I'm not sure if he needed that contact more than I did, but it was enough to settle me.  "In lieu of recent events, I think it would be a good idea to move up your engagement."

            "Victoria!" Lord Edgehill scolded, "she was just going to leave, can't you give it a few days?"

            "That's precisely why I think we should move it up, look at them, Gideon," she said nodding at us, "they're very happy and content now . . . we should act on it!"  I looked towards Isaac, I did not want to be in the middle of this discussion.

            "But they are people, Victoria, in case you've missed it!  Your son and the girl he loves are sitting right there," Lord Edgehill looked at us and took a breath, "my apologies . . . but I'm only trying to act in your best interests."  He sat back and took a sip from his cup, "Why don't you at least ask them what they think?"

            Three sets of eyes fell on us and all I could do was turn to Isaac.  He looked at me, no it wasn't a look, more of a contemplative gaze.  "Well?" the lady inquired as she set a tea cup in front of me.

            "If Margaret agrees," Isaac said holding my hand in both of his, "I don't see a reason why we shouldn't act."

            Lady Edgehill said a very self appreciatory, "Ha!" to herself as she turned towards her husband, "See, my son knows what he's doing."

            "Well, Miss Woodbridge," Lord Edgehill's voice directed towards me, "I guess it is up to you.  I don't want you to feel any pressure . . . remember just hours ago you were going to send letters to your brothers . . . "

            "Gideon!" the lady admonished.

            I nodded my head and with my free hand took the letters from my pocket, "Leah, if you would throw these in the fire."  I would have thought she would jump at the chance, but instead she moved slowly.  Perhaps she thought I would change my mind at the last minute.  "Go ahead, Leah, I'm certain."  Once I watched as the fire disposed of my letters, I set my hand on top of Isaac's, "I would like to proceed."  Again I heard the lady's happiness even though she tried to keep it to herself.

            "If you're sure," the lord said, "then I will leave you in my wife's capable hands."  He finished his tea and then stood to leave.

            "Father?" Isaac said, a sense of  yearning in his voice, "Thank you."  Lord Edgehill clamped him on the shoulder as he left the room.

            All was quiet for several minutes, the only one enjoying the refreshments was Lady Edgehill.  "Well then, what do you say to announcing your engagement by the end of the month?"

            "It's only May," I commented.

            "It is," she retorted, "but if we have the engagement party before June we can return to Brighton before warmth of summer sets in town."  I noticed how her eyes enlarged for a moment and a distasteful smirk appeared before she turned back to us, "Then we can prepare for the wedding in the country."

            "Brighton?" I said to myself, "It's supposed to be lovely in Sussex."

            Isaac moved his hand and let it rest on my shoulder where his fingers brushed a curl beside my ear, "It will be lovely wherever you are."

            "Oh enough of that," the lady fussed, "you already have the girl, no need to heap it on."  I was astounded that she said that and I looked to Isaac.

            "Mother, I might have the girl now," he stood up, keeping his hand on my shoulder, "but I do intend to keep her as well."  He leaned down and kissed my cheek, "If you'd excuse me, I would like to talk to someone with a level head." 

            I pursed my lips as the lady stared after him, "He's got more of his father in him lately." 

            I said little for the duration of the tea, only beckoning Leah to sit beside me now that it was just the three of us.  We listened as the lady prattled on about plans for the party.  It would be held here, of course, but with only two weeks to prepare we would have to move quickly.  The seamstress would be called for in the morning, I let out an exhausted sigh with that, thankfully she did not notice.  The lady began a meal plan immediately along with a list of musicians and decor.  "How does that sound?" she said after an hour.

            "Very nice," I nodded.

            "You should be paying more attention, dear," she chided, "soon it will be your burden to handle such things."