Chapter Six "London Bound"

I was at a loss on how to conduct myself over the next several days.  Aside from meals I did my best to avoid everyone, even Freddie.  He took notice but did not press my choice.  I spent my time inside busily reading in some of my favorite out of the way corners or playing with Isabella in the nursery.  There were a few times when I was sure that Percival was going to invade my solitude, but Patience seemed to be on alert and always needed him if he took a step in my direction.  It was if we choreographed this odd dance of redirection.  I even found myself thankful for the mild winter and took several walks in the garden, just to be out of the house.  I would try sketching as long as my fingers would not get too cold.  I'm sure anything that I drew on those days was far from being worth admiring, but  they served their purpose.

            In the last days before we were to leave for London I approached Freddie in his study, "I would like to forgo London and remain at home," I told him solemnly.

            "What?  Why?" he asked moving from behind his desk to sit with me on the sofa.

            "Since Faith is here to travel with Patience, she will not be without a companion," I stated paying more attention to the ring that belonged to my mother on my finger.

            "No, there's more than that," he said lifting my chin so I was looking into his eyes.  "Tell me, Magpie, what's going on in that head of yours?"

            "I never wanted to go to London in the first place, Freddie," I quipped, "it was your idea and somehow you made Patience agree to it knowing full well that she didn't want me along!"  I couldn't help the rise in my voice.  "So now that she can have the trip that she wants, I think she should have it!
            "Oh," Freddie said leaning back into the sofa and reaching into his pocket, "does this have anything to do with it?"  He held the locket in front of me.

            "No," I started, "I don't even know what that is," I lied.

            "It's the locket that Patience gave you when you turned eleven, and you left it outside of our room," he explained placing it in my hands, "I can only guess that you must have heard . . . "

            "No," I argued looking away from him.

            "You've always been a terrible liar," he laughed.  "Look, Margaret . . . I will not try to explain Patience.  Things will work out the way that they're supposed to, they always do."

            I let out a deep sigh, "You're still sending me to London?"

            "London will be good for you," he smiled taking the locket and draping it around my neck, "just like this locket was good for you once upon a time."

            "I'm not a child anymore," I declared.

            "That is true, but when you got this . . . so many years ago . . . you wanted to be a fine young lady, now is your time."  Freddie leaned over and kissed my hair, "You will enjoy London, I'm sure of it."  I had nothing else to say so I just nodded.  "Why don't you go talk to Percival?  Plan some of that sightseeing . . . "

            "Perhaps I will," I lied, trying to smile for him.  "I should make sure my trunk  is ready," I said excusing myself.

            The morning we were leaving for London was a quiet one.  Even Isabella was well-behaved as our trunks were taken to the carriage, but then she was clinging to her father tightly.  I gave her a gentle hug and promised to bring her something lovely from the city before I joined Faith who had already taken a seat.  Our carriage would accommodate the four of us comfortably and as I pondered the long hours of our journey, I took the seat across from Faith, knowing that Patience would sit next to her most likely.  That left the spot beside me for Percival but I could try to keep my attention on the scenery or the book I tucked into my reticule.  If I was to look at someone for conversation, it would be Faith.