Chapter Seventy-Eight "Treasured Findings"

Days passed and it was my turn to be awkward and secluded.  I kept myself and Jasper in my room for the most part, emerging only for meals.  It was good to hear the lively conversations, but I did very little talking.  Leah seemed uncomfortable around me, as if she wondered if it was her fault that my demeanor suddenly changed.  I wanted to assure her that it wasn't but I could not find it in myself to express all that I was feeling.

            I made an earnest attempt to start filling my new journal with happy things.  I did not feel happy in the slightest but decided if I could remember pleasant times, then it should improve my mood as well as start this wonderful thing that Owen had given to me.  I began with my parents, jotting down bits of things that I wanted to stay with me forever.  What they looked like, how they sounded and what they taught me.  If I remembered anything precise, I had to include it, like when I described the best aspects of my brothers I recalled my mother telling me that good things come in threes, like them.  I remembered screwing up my face and asking her why then there was just one of me.  She had laughed and brought me into her lap saying that while good things come in threes, the best things come singly.  I'm sure it was just to appease me then, but I had to agree now that my brothers are the best of men.

            I drew a picture of the locket that Patience had given to me and I tried to recall her words that had helped me during that unfair time.  I refrained from much else regarding her because the point of this was to keep a cheerful place.  Perhaps I would find more positive aspects to include later now that she was herself happier.

            The next thing I found myself sketching was the cameo locket that Percival had given to me.  I still recalled exactly what it looked like, down to every detail.  I was sure my drawing did not do it justice but it was a fond reminder of the token.  I debated whether or not to include one of his more poetic letters, but then depending on how things settled, it could turn into a painful reminder.  I looked at my sketch again and thought about erasing it.  I couldn't though.  No matter what, it was a moment of true bliss when I realized that it meant . . . that I meant something to him.

            Jasper let out a low whine and began pawing at the door.  Figuring that he needed to go outside, I moved quickly but when I opened the door I found Leah pacing outside of my room.  "I'm sorry," she chimed, "but . . . Mr. Nassar asked that I get you."

            I looked for Jasper, hoping he could wait just a moment but he was busy chasing Alice down the hall.  I realized he knew what was beyond my door and did his part to get me to open it.  "I am not good company, Leah," I offered, trying not to sound curt.

            "I understand, but he was most adamant that I should bring you no matter what," she dropped her chin and looked up at me with her wide eyes, exuding all of the sweetness and innocence that she could.

            "Are you trying to sweeten me?" I fought a laugh that was brewing.

            "Please, Margaret, I've missed you!" Leah took my hands and started gently pulling me towards the stairs, "Mr. Nassar promises that it will be something fun."

            "Have you been spending much time with Mr. Nassar?" I tried to ask casually.

            "Well, you have been hiding," she smiled, "but he has been busy as well.  Then today he asked me to get you, saying that he had something for us."  Once we were downstairs she practically skipped her way towards the library, "Come on," she cooed, "it's been so boring these last few days."

            I wanted to giggle with her again, she looked almost carefree in her eagerness.  When we opened the library doors Owen was standing in front of the large window with his back to us.  "It has been rather solemn as of late," he spoke deliberately, his voice was low, "so I have devised a little fun."  He turned towards us with two scrolls in his hands.