Comfort food

Riley's POV

"of course." I say to Skylar a bit shocked that she's crying so much.

I grab a box of tissues from the coffee table on the living room and lead her up to my room.

She sits down on my bed and I hand her the box of tissues as I sit down next to her.

She wipes her eyes and grabs another tissue to blow her nose.

"So what happened?" I ask sympathetically.

"W-well, do you remember Noah from elementary school?" she stutters and sniffs.

Noah was Skylar's and my best friend up until grade 5 when he moved away because his dad's job got transferred. We have been trying to keep in touch but it's hard because he is so busy all the time.

"Ya, why?" I ask.

"Well he was in town for one night a few weeks ago for his cousins wedding and stopped by to see us, but you were at soccer practice." She explains a bit clearer after blowing her nose again.

"Ok..." I say signalling her to continue.

"Well when he was leaving my place I gave him a hug before he went to the car where his dad was waiting for him."
She says, not really crying anymore.

She continues before I say anything.
"And I noticed Shawn had been a bit distant lately, so I invited him over while my parents were out."

"Ya... and?" I ask.

"Well we talked for a bit and then he said he had something to confess." she continued.

"He said that he saw me hugging some guy, Noah, and that he couldn't believe I cheated on him." she said, tears starting to well up in her eyes.

She grabs another tissue to wipe her eyes before she continues.

"Then when I tried to explain everything, he just told me to save it cause he thought I was lying, then I got mad at him for not trusting me, and he got mad at me for 'lying'." she finished with air quotes around lying.

I couldn't believe this, of course I believe Skylar, she's my best friend after all, but this is crazy.

All I manage out is "I'm so sorry Sky."

"It's alright, at least you know the whole story, I just had to get it out, and I needed my best friend." she said with a tiny smile and giving me a big hug.

She doesn't let go for at least a good 2 minutes. Then she sniffs and lets go of me and grabs another tissue and blows her nose. She is now done crying, although mascara stains her cheeks.

"Let's go clean you up." I say with a smile and lead her to the bathroom.

"My god, I look like a damn raccoon!" she says with a laugh while looking at herself in the mirror.

"Little bit." I say laughing with her.

I wipe the mascara off her cheeks and fix her makeup for her.

"Could we have some ice cream? I need comfort food." she says part joking, but mostly serious. That's so Skylar.

"Of course, you can have a pint of Ben and Jerry's and I'll make brownies." I say while touching up her eyeliner.

"Sounds like a plan." She responds.

We go downstairs after Skylar is looking like herself again and I go into the freezer and toss her the pint of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and a spoon.

She sits down at the table and starts to eat it with little sniffles here had there, but no tears.

I pull the brownies out of the oven 40 minutes later and cut up a few squares and put them on a plate for Skylar and I. I put the rest of the brownies away cause I know they are Cameron's favourite.

I take the plate of fresh baked brownies over to Skylar who has tears in her eyes and an empty Ben and Jerry's tub next to her on the table.

She grabs a brownie and so do I.

"You deserve a guy who trusts you and believes you no matter what, and he is not it, so don't worry about him." I say sympathetically to her.

"You're right... I just really thought he was the one, but what do I know, I'm only 17." She replies.

"Cheers to the single life!" I say raising my brownie in the air, and she does the same.

We both take a dramatic bite of our brownies at the same time and share a laugh.

This is my Skylar, and I feel so bad about what happened, but I'm glad I have my best friend back.