Thursday night party

Riley's POV

Skylar drags me back to my house and I try several times to ask her questions but she cuts me off with things like 'where is your eyeliner' and 'put on that cute dress you bought last month' and 'you need accessories!'

I don't even understand why we are going to a party on a school night.

This is so unlike Skylar.

After about a half hour of Skylar getting me ready, I'm wearing a just above the knee teal party dress, with my makeup done by Skylar, and my hair curled and in a ponytail, with my bangs loose at the front.

We look pretty good, Skylar wears a dress a bit shorter than mine, and it's light pink. Her hair is perfectly straightened, with a black headband and her makeup done flawlessly.

We head downstairs with our little purses in our hands, and put our shoes on, Skylar puts her high heels on, but I decide to put on my pair of white converse.

"No, no, no! you can NOT wear converse, you just can't!" Skylar protests.

"Well I HATE high heels, you know that, and I don't care, I'm wearing my converse, whether you like it or not." I sternly say back with a bit of a giggle.

"Ugh, fine, lets go." she says back with an eye roll.

She opens the door and we head outside. We get inside my moms van and I drive. Skylar puts the address into the GPS and I follow what the little voice tells me to do, I call her darla.

After about 20 minutes of driving, we pull up at a huge house with loud music playing and high school and college kids running around everywhere.

"Why are we here exactly?" I ask.

"It's my cousins boyfriends fraternity party, and next week, she is throwing a party at her sorority house!" she squeals.

I just roll my eyes and nod as I lock the van and put the keys in my purse as we walk towards the door.

We let ourselves in and girls are dressed in party dresses as well, and guys are mostly in jeans and plain t-shirts.

Someone calls Skylar, so she takes me over to the girl who called her.

"Skylar! long time no see girl!" a tall blonde girl exclaims, giving Skylar a hug as I stand there awkwardly.

"Yeah! it's been a while!" Skylar says back.

"And who's this?" the blonde asks, gesturing to me.

"Oh, Kendall, this is my best friend Riley. Riley this is my cousin Kendall." Skylar introduces us.

"It's nice to meet you." I say shaking her hand.

"It's nice to meet you too." She replies.

The song then changes to 'don't stop' by 5 seconds of summer, and Kendall excuses herself so she can go dance.

Skylar and I decide to dance around as well, and we end up singing along and surprisingly having a lot of fun.

Skylar goes to talk to her cousin and some of her friends, so I try to find a bottle of water somewhere.

I pass the front room, trying to find the kitchen, and I see Shawn sitting by himself just playing a game on his phone.

I decide to talk to him.

"Hey Shawn." I say a bit cheerfully and sit down next to him.

"Oh, hey Riley." he says looking up at me from his phone.

"What are you doing here?" we say at almost the same time.

We laugh and then I begin to explain.

"I'm here because this is Skylar's cousin's boyfriends party, so she was invited and brought me." I explain to him.

"Oh, well, my stepbrother got invited because this is his best friends party, and I didn't want to come, but my mom made me so we could 'bond'" he explains, with air quotes around bond.

"Oh, ok, so why are you sitting alone?" I ask.

"I don't really know anyone here, well besides you, and... Skylar." he says with a small frown.

"Oh, I understand. well, are you excited about the tour that you're going on soon?" I ask, changing the subject.

"Actually, not really, I'm actually really nervous, I sing covers of songs and I've never sung for live audiences before." He tells me.

"Oh my gosh really? I wouldn't expect you to have stage fright." I say.

"Yeah, I know it's lame,." he says looking down at his feet shyly.

"You're going to be amazing Shawn, you're really talented." I say looking him in the eyes with a smile, and then give him a hug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skylar's POV

I walk towards the kitchen looking for Riley because she went to get some water, and as I pass the front room I see the back of her head, and Shawn's head on her shoulder.

Why would she freaking hug Shawn?!?

Why would she go for my ex behind my back?!?! she knows how much I like him.

"WHAT THE HECK RILEY?!?!" I yell just before turning to run away and cry.

How could she... my best friend...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Riley's POV

"WHAT THE HECK RILEY?!?!" I hear someone yell behind me as I let go of Shawn after our hug.

I quickly turn around and see a teary eyed Skylar turn around and run away, crying into her hands.

What. Have. I. Done.