Chapter 39

ashton pov -

I watch as the black ranger rover drives down the dusty gravel road and through the trees until I can no longer see the car. Even then, I stand motionless and look into the dense forestry and do what I've been doing for the past three weeks, think of Adella. I think of the car that has just left that contains Ben; of how risky a move it is, to send him into the fight with no ammunition.

Ben offered himself to go to where we think Russell's base is, as we've had many searches but they all led to dead ends; my limit is nearing as my frustration and pain is gradually rising. I was very hesitant on sending Ben off as he could be hurt and if he is then Adella will never forgive me but he was insistent and we all faced the facts that Ben was the best option, if we were to send someone in. 

For the past three weeks I've been sorting everything for two packs, 1400 people, and it's been awfully stressful. I've done the pack ceremonies, pack laws, my pack moving into their homes and most importantly; the search of our lost and loved Alpha. Everyone has been very onboard with the loss of Adella and ways on finding her. Blake, Nick, Kira and James have been aiding me with the organisation of everything.

The fresh, early morning breeze interrupts my daze as it attacks my arms and in its wake, goosebumps appear. I turn and walk slowly back to the empty house, everything reminding me of Adella. My somber attitude insinuating that she's dead but she isn't, thankfully I can tell that from our bond. However,  I miss her terribly and the mate bond accentuates that so it makes it harder to bear; my wolf scarcely appearing in my mind, him missing her wolf, May.

I re-enter my home and walk up to the office, I scan the room and the mess that's now occupying it. I sluggishly pick up all the stray and crumpled pieces of paper. The most recent pieces of paper that are strewn across the floor, are the letters that I wrote to Adella but then I didn't like most of them.

With Ben I sent a letter for my mate, it she was at this destination he's going to. It took me hours to write the right letter as for the first time ever, I was stumbling and stuck with words. Worried of not writing the right content, this girl the first and last to ever make me do and feel like this.

Once I've cleared the room I exit, not having the energy to do anymore work this morning. For the past three weeks, slept has become less and less frequent. The missing presence of my mate causing unrest to me and prohibiting me from sleeping for more than four hours. The number of late nights and early mornings increasing; after the first week I've barely slept except when I take sleeping pills and they haven't been the most effective.

I walk torpidly into the kitchen and sit at the island and re-read the letter from Adella, for the millionth time. My eyebrows furrow as she mentions going to see Anna for something, I rack my head to see if I have already seen her and forgotten but nothing strikes me. I gather myself and make my appearance presentable and leave the house for the second time today.

I walk in the bitter morning air and shiver slightly, the hairs on my arms standing up to catch some warm air. But there is none. I continue my journey to the Science Department and once I'm there I ask for Anna. Everyone that passes me greets and bows to me, but I don't miss the sympathetic looks in their eyes; the loss of Adella affecting me the most.

Anna hurriedly comes into view, her hair messily orientated into a bun, the bags under her eyes accumulating and her clothes gradually getting more creased. I lift my brow at here state and she quickly tries to sort herself out but I chuckle in return. My state not looking much better than hers so I can't say anything.

"Sorry I don't look my best Ashton, as you know it's been busy round her recently with trying to sort things out." She apologies, her words coming out rushed and a faint blush forming on her cheeks. I like Anna as she's very down to earth with her wild curly hair, cute glasses and lovely persona.

"No need to apologise, we are all in the same boat. Can we go to your office please?" I reply and she nods and extends her arm and leads the way. We walk in silence until we reach her office and then proceeds to locking the door behind us, once we've entered, and we take our seats.

"So Alpha, how can I help you?" She politely and professionally questions.

"I'm here to enquire about something that Adella mentioned in this letter." I respond and pass her the letter and her eyes scan the writing and a expression of recognition passes on her face. She quickly gets up from her seat and makes her way towards the wall and I wonder what she's doing.

She lifts the painting off the wall and I see a safe implanted into the wall and a smile forms on my lips, loving the intellectual thinking of my mate. She opens the safe and rummages inside it until she pulls out a grey box with the tag 'ADELLA' on it. She brings it to the table and pushes it towards me and I hesitantly take it. Having no idea what is inside it.

I open it slowly and look inside the box and see a piece of paper inside and grab it and hungrily open it.

Dear my mate,

Something must've happened to me if you're reading this. In this box are something that you can use to have a future. In here are four eggs from me, so if you want children to remind of ours then you can have that.

Love you

Adella x

I feel a stray tear fall from my eye and I quickly wipe it away, completely shocked from this. Not expecting this simple box to contain something so life changing. I close the letter and place it on the table and look at the rest of the belongings in here. There are four small vials, numbered one to four and I gently hold one of them and sniff slightly; not believing Adella had this planned.

I place all the bits bag into the box and close it. I look up and meet Anna's soft eyes and she has a sad smile occupying her lips. She tenderly says, "If things turn sour then we have many people who have offered to carry her children for you Alpha. Just contact me if you want this to happen."

I nod and reply, "I'll contact you in a while. Nothing will be happening until we find her, whatever state she's in."

She nods and gets up from her seat and opens the door for me. I leave and give her a small "Thank you" and carefully carry the box containing my potential children. I return home and go straight to the lounge, I place the box on the coffee table and sit on the couch.

I find myself, for the first time in three weeks, peacefully falling asleep. The thought of having mine and Adella's children running through the house, coaxing me into a slumber.

********************

Hellooo,

We're you expecting this?

Keep reading, commenting, voting, sharing and following me xoxo

On Avalon Novel my account is also called @lmrbxox and my book is still called Snow Alpha.

The next chapter will be released on SUNDAY on Wattpad and on SATURDAY on Avalon Novel x

*edited.

-LMRBXOX