39. Mother Knows Best

[Edited]

"Why did you chase after me?"

"Because you ran away from me," his answer came out fast and simple, I sighed.

"But why would you come after me... after everything?" I tried again.

"Because I love you," that answer also short and to the point.

My heart clenched, stomach fluttered.

"You still love me after everything I've done to you?" my voice came out barely over a whisper.

"I should have told you from the very beginning instead of closing myself off from you, Princess. I was afraid you would leave me if I told you the truth about my parents and what they expect from me."

'I did want to leave. As soon as I saw the disappointed looks on his parents faces, I wanted to run away. Again, like a coward.'

"I hate that you put your trust in Daniel, he admitted to what he's done already and I kicked him out. As much as I hate it, it's already been done." He pressed his lips together before gently setting my foot back on the floor.

"I want us to put that in the past. All of it. I want to move on with you by my side." I remained silent as he scooted closer, taking my hand in his own.

"Neither one of us are perfect, and that's what I love about us. I don't need this life, this house, all the money in the world can't make me happy like you do." His lips brushed against my hand and my heart sped up.

"I only need you in my life. I don't want that stupid position if it means losing you. I've been thinking about this for a while so don't look at me like that." I tried best to fix my frown, his lips coming down to kiss each finger slowly and I gulped.

"But your parents already hate me. You're giving everything up for me."

"I'm a grown man. Younger than you, but still old enough to make decisions for myself. And besides, I can't be giving up everything when you're my everything," he said cleared his throat, looking everywhere but my face.

"And I also have my fair share of personal investments and stocks to keep my own money flowing." I laughed and pushed his arm playfully while rolling my eyes.

"Y/n, do you love me?" 

I grinned. "Of course," I said, softly giving his hand a small reassuring squeeze.

 "Marry me."

My eyes popped wide and I sputtered. "Uh, w-what now?" 

His quiet laugh sounded in my ears and I smiled again though my nerves bundled up in every part of my body.

"Let's take it one step at a time, but one day you're gonna be my wife," he kissed my fingers, hovering a bit longer over my ring finger, before letting his lips trail up my arm. An overwhelming feeling bottled up inside, threatened to explode and gush with happiness.