58. Prey and Panic

[Edited]

"Tabitha, have you seen Jungkook?"

I asked the head maid of the estate that I've surprisingly become very close with over the past few weeks. I guess it was bound to happen considering I spend so much time alone lately.

It's almost funny how deserted it feels to be in a place that's pretty much never empty. Maids, cooks, even the occasional actor or idol that comes over for dinner or a last minute fitting. 

None of that could ever fill the void of our little apartment by the sea, just the two of us happy in each others presence.

That was all we needed.

Was.

Jungkook has been very distant, and as much as I tried to remind myself of Taehyung's words, that he's strong and will get through this, I couldn't help but to feel like he's hiding something, like he's been avoiding me on purpose.

"I believe he's gone to another meeting, Miss y/n," Tabitha said in a grim tone, knowing all too well how I feel about Jungkook working for the company again.

--

"It's only for the time being, they really need me right now," Jungkook sighed, adjusting his tie in the tall stand up mirror while I slipped on a shiny black pump on the ottoman at the end of the bed. "I'll just be managing any areas that need a bit of help. You understand why I'm doing this, right?" 

Jungkook's shaky hands continued to fumble with his tie and I frowned, standing as I held in the groan dying to escape.

"You know I understand," I huffed softly, pushing his hands aside to adjust the tie properly myself. "but I can't help but to feel weird about this. Everything we did to get you out of that place, away from your mother, and... "

I pursed my lips, unable to finish for fear I would upset Jungkook more than he already was. 

'Stop being selfish, y/n... '

Finally, I met his gaze, staring into those doe eyes that once burned so bright and lively I felt heated under their warmth. They now no longer swirl, dull and lifeless like the last flickering ember of a dying fire. 

My heart wanted to race and stop at the same time. 

Every time I look at Jungkook I still get butterflies, but when I see those piercing eyes, that cold stare, my entire world feels frozen over. The man I've fallen so deeply in love with seems like a different person and I'm not sure how to react. 

As Taehyung told me days ago, time is only a bandaid, it will never heal the pain Jungkook will always feel for the loss of his sister.

'Maybe he'll always be like this, will I be able to accept that? The dark cloud that lingers over his head, his unwillingness to smile, to laugh, to feel. How long will it be like this?' I bit my lip in frustration.