(14) festival of failures

The 1-A waiting room was alright with conversation, Seiko even quite antsy despite her rigorous preparation.

Two weeks of training flew by quickly for the whole class. Seiko had made leaps and bounds in her own skill set, well aware that the fights that would go down that day would force the effort out of her. She had even more tricks up her sleeve, so Seiko knew that the surge of confidence in her would not be pointless.

Shoji and Koda were deep in conversation, Seiko paying no mind as she adjusted her training uniform. Still in the process of removing her regulators, Iida suddenly leapt forward to her spot.

"Nakano-san! I understand the fact that your devices are not attached to your costume! However, please, with my utmost respect, I must ask that you refrain from keeping them on during the—"

"It's fine, Iida-san." The girl replied with a tight lipped smile. "I'm already getting them off."

With that, Seiko took a deep breath to calm her nerves. The regulators gave a faint beep before clicking off of her joints. She did her best to hide the fact that it always hurt to take them off, the surge of energy and all that not exactly the best factors of her quirk. Nonetheless, she set them onto the table with a resounding clack, drawing the attention of her classmates seated at the table.

"Ahh, Nakano-san, what difference does it make for you even wearing those fancy bracelets?" Ojiro questioned, picking one up in interest.

With a firm tug to her bandages, Seiko pulled her sleeves and pant legs down while twisting to look at the boy. "They're regulators I designed. They normally help stabilize my energy usage for my beams, but it's technically tech that I can't use for fairness during the festival."

He nodded in understanding, placing it down gently. It wasn't always Seiko took those things off, they were a real pain reliever when it came to truly balancing her quirk usage. Even so, she ensured she spent more time out in the sun within the past two weeks. She wanted to be a formidable opponent. Any preparation to her was beneficial.

"Midoriya..."

She raised her head. Everyone quieted down in the room when Todoroki spoke. It made sense; if one of the strongest kids in the class suddenly called out a student they wouldn't otherwise talk to, it was going to be interesting.

"Objectively speaking, I'm stronger than you. More capable." The boy's face was undecipherable the whole time while saying such, the small boy caught off guard with a jolt.

"Huh!? S-Sure!!"

"All Might's got his eye on you, doesn't he..." Now Seiko perked up, fully invested in the brewing chaos. "Now I'm not about to pry into why that is, but...I will beat you."

Denki coughed awkwardly. "Ooh!! A declaration of war from the strongest in the class?!"

Those around him were still in shock, even Bakugo relatively silent (that is if you ignored his grinding of teeth and forever angrily drawn brows, then yes, silent).

"Hey, man, why pick a fight now?! We're about to go on." Kirishma stepped forward, placing a hand on Todoroki's shoulder and gasping when he only shrugged it away.

"I really don't care. I'm not pretending to be anyone's friend, here."

The heterochromatic-eyed male slowly gazed in her direction, his eyes firm and filled to the brim with determination. A challenging stare. Sending a wide grin back, the girl was elated. A challenge from the one-and-only son of Endeavor. No idiot would miss an opportunity like that.

"Todoroki, I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell me you'll beat me..." Izuku muttered, clenching his fists. "You're clearly stronger, and I can't measure up to most of the others here in skill..."