(65) fear

Takami Keigo was stumped. Allowing his massive wings to flare out behind him, Hawks sighed loudly atop the towering skyscraper he relaxed on.

Nevermind the patrol he had long-since completed that night, or the strange calm that was settling over Musutafu. Rght now, Hawks glared towards the files in his hands in frustration. The thin stack of papers seemed insignificant at best, but the man knew better. It took him long enough to obtain information like this.

"This is absolute chaos."

He rubbed his eyes once again, goggles abandoned on the ground as he ran his hands through his hair.

"Then explain to me the kills and attacks made by Enigma since your little 'double-agent' assignment, hmm?"

Now Nakano Seiko stopped, and that bit of fear began to settle.

"Hmm~?" She cursed silently when her voice came out strained.

"You act like this was some discovery I've made recently, kiddo', but I don't need some higher up legal force to tell me to investigate. I can do it all myself, and from the looks of it, your behavior goes much further back..." Hawks slowly padded his way forward, gaze narrowed in caution. "Even before U.A., Enigma's quickly become well known underground."

Seiko swore to herself she didn't mean to stay silent, but the girl was speechless. Infuriatingly speechless.

And by the look of victory on Hawks face, Seiko only felt further irritation.

"I'm right," Hawks announced, two feathers now in his grasp and clearly hardened for attack. "And sorry to say, kid, but that just means I'll have to take you in."

How could he forget? Damn it, how did he forget?!

Hawks was the fastest man alive, and he was determined to deliver his heroic skills to his fullest ability. He lived to save lives, and to make it as easy for the heroes of the future as possible. He sacrificed so much, and lives were at stake.

So how could he be so stupid as to forget that little crack in the heroes' armor?

Hawks had spent countless hours investigating each and every student of UA; he worked tirelessly to ensure that no leaks would emerge from the core of their future. Discovering the identity of Himura Seiko was a painful one, but he had been sure that he would pursue her and stop the villains from creating any more chaos.

He didn't look it, but it honestly hurt the man. Hawks hated getting attached, and he hated being dragged down by menial things that he could move on from, but those little intern students he had were something else. He admired their determination; never could he imagine that one of them would be nothing but a lie.

The papers in his hands weighed much more than it appeared.

Himura Etsuko, the infamous villain Enigma. Hawks only heard stories of her horrifying intelligence, and her unsettling detachment when it came to her research. Every hero knew she was the textbook definition of a manic scientist.

Glaring into his palms, Hawks only scanned over the aged images with a frown. Red eyes, formless figures. Nakano Seiko was much too similar to be ignored.

Then there was Nakano Jun, otherwise known as the famed hero Luminosity. Hawks idolized him (second best to Endeavor, however...). Much of Japan's understanding of flight either came from the American heroes, or from Luminosity. A flying quirk was all too rare, and a man with such brilliant kindness like Jun's was hard to come by. Hawks adopted his tactics in the air, and throughout his time studying imposed Luminosity's own ideals of acceptance and understanding.

So why did Himura Seiko turn out this way?

A leech concealed in the confines of Class 1-A. A mole that wanted nothing more than to tear down the heroes from the inside out. A figure that so many citizens knew as a hero-hopeful.

Nothing but a villain in disguise.

Hawks glared out back into the sky. He could only begin to plan on how the hell he was going to manage this one...

*

Himura Seiko never acknowledged the fact that her body wasn't perfect. No matter the amount of relentless testing and prodding, her body wasn't capable of reaching peak perfection.

Despite the incessant praises of Master that she was his perfect little specimen, she was well aware of the fact that there was a limit to the growth.

Why? Was she too human? Too feeble? Too weak?

Or was she simply too moldable?

Laughable, really, how the one trait All for One fussed over was the trait that caused her the most struggle. Nomus were too linear, and were simply too dumb to realize their importance to Master's plans. They were limited by whatever remained of their twisted minds, and even High End proved futile against the heroes.

Seiko thought—no, believed she could be enough for Master if she pursued it passionately enough. Emotional detachment. Superior intelligence. An adoration of All for One.

She should have been perfect.

"Take your time, though, Nee-chan." Eri attempted a weak smile, crookedly showing her teeth to the sleeping girl. "You look much more relaxed right now~. I promise that I will catch you up, Nee-chan."

How did she become so human. So infuriatingly, disgustingly human.

Himura Seiko was created to be perfect.

Nakano Seiko existed to take that all away.

Nakano was the dream heroics student; skilled and passionate. Someone who seemingly held blind faith in saving society and making the world a better place.

But those 1-A students had to go in and mesh her whole persona together.

Himura was confused.

She is confused, lost, and—in terrifying reality—she is afraid.

Blind faith in whom? Heroes? Master? The ones who brought her into existence? Or the once who seemed to give meaning to her laughable excuse of a life?

She lived for Master...but when did those words become foreign on her tongue?

Isolated. Was she isolated? Alone?

Darkness. Silence. Nothingness.

Afraid.

In her unconscious state, Seiko's body shifted in pain ever so slightly.

Afraid.

Himura Seiko was so very afraid.

____
We love some good ol' fear kiddos :) thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the chapter!
-Jansege