(69.3) aftermath

Hawks kept his nonchalant attitude. He had to.

News cameras and microphones were shoved into his face, demanding some sort of statement. The public all knew that Nakano Seiko had been a star student of U.A., even taken under the wing of Hawks with Tokoyami during their internships. They were aware of the quiet girl who packed a punch, and definitely were aware of the fact that she had so much potential.

So they had two options: blame the teacher, or blame the mentor.

"I promise I'll let the world know, but for now, I'll see you all later~." Hawks finally slipped out of the incessant crowd of journalists.

Wings flourishing, the man escaped the group gathered in front of his agency.

Hawks knew this situation would be a tiresome one, but he still was infuriated.

"You must let her escape."

Hawks thought the Public Safety Commission was joking, because he had laughed. He poked and smiled at the President, but when the woman's face did not shift, he paused. Between the two of them, Hawks had finally relayed his most recent discovery (or what he pitifully admitted was a re-discovery) of Seiko's true role in the League.

"You're not kidding." Hawks ran a hand through his hair, expression contorting into one of pure confusion. "I, uh, I want to—uh...Can I ask why?"

He was dumbfounded, surely. There has been a mole present in one of the most prestigious Hero schools of Japan. With their information, they could capture her without any unnecessary drama. UA wouldn't need to be under fire again, and the media would only receive notice after capture and interrogation was completed. Hawks made sure he was quick this time, because he didn't want that mind wipe situation to occur again.

And now they're telling him to let her go?!

"You and Himura Seiko have established connections in the public eye." The President settled a few folders onto her table. "Of course, we could take this opportunity to rid us of the mole. However, this is also a chance for us to gain more insight on the League's inner workings."

"That's why I'm there!" Hawks' frustration rippled through, and the man flinched as the President shot him a stern glare.

"But with her, now you'll be able to go further. Himura Seiko is a byproduct of Luminosity and Enigma that the Public Safety Commission has worked for years to hide. Those incidents about Luminosity's sudden disappearance were handled by us, and the disappearance of the whole family was painfully dealt with by us. Unfortunately, there is no compromise here."

The older woman puled out two papers, worn out with time. Plastered beneath the gaudy "Confidential" stamp were the faces of Oshiro Jun and Himura Etsuko. Photos blurred from age, Hawks took the papers silently as he skimmed over its contents. Data as obscure as the last recorded phone call between the duo was included, and the male struggled to suppress his concerns as to how they retrieved this information.

The President continued. "She was known as Number 6 in the files we managed to retrieve from Enigma's last ditch efforts. One factor we want you to keep in mind is that Himura Seiko exists with the intellectual capabilities of a normal human being, but she was created to be a new breed of Nomu."

Hawks flinched.

"We still do not know how or where those creatures are being produced, as your information is still being analyzed. If we allow Himura Seiko to escape, you can work towards gaining her favor once more as the League. If you gain her trust, you will be able to obtain much more than face value information."