(27) soaring through

"This is an announcement! The first team to pass is Todoroki and Yaoyorozu!"

"Must be nice!" Seiko shouted to herself in exasperation, rolling to her right and sending another laser blindly into the ground.

Wincing when the feathers flew past her bicep, the girl managed to stun Hawks with a huge bang. She had to admit this was the first time she faced someone so relentless. Hawks felt like an annoying pest, and that was definitely an awakening for Seiko.

so this is what it feels like when I fight my grounded opponents~.

Speeding into the sky, Seiko narrowly missed another flume of red feathers that slammed into her previous hidings spot. The area was littered with rubble and boulders, the assorted nicks and slashes throughout the zone clear marks of Hawk's elusive attacks. She had to admit she hated not being atop of the plan, only because there was no plan. Hawks was giving her no time to think, and she cried out again when he suddenly flew up to her and slammed a fist into her side.

"Come on, Nakano!" He shouted out, plucking one of his feathers and bringing it forward as a sharpened "sword". "Too fast for ya'?"

She sneered, sweat dripping down her brow. Oh how I'd love to wipe that damn smirk off your face.

"This isn't nice~!" Was all the girl managed, not blowing her cover and instead pleading. "I thought you guys had some rule or something to at least give us a chance!"

Her lasers broke through the dusty air, Hawks easily maneuvering his limited wings around her attack. Tossing another round of feathers at the girl, Hawks steadily lowered their altitudes. "Where'd you hear that sort of thing?"

Seiko dropped beneath the hero and avoided his barrage. "Just intuition."

The male grimaced in surprise when her hands latched onto his wings out of nowhere, slinging him around her shoulder and managing to force him towards the ground. He wriggled violently out of her grip, just barely managing to buffer himself before stumbling onto his feet on the arena. Glancing over his shoulder, Hawks huffed. He only had a handful of useable feathers left, the others either lodged into the rubble or singed away by Seiko's beams. There was no time to retrieve more—as proven when Seiko's beams once again missed his figure—and Hawks rolled his eyes.

He reached out to face the girl because he wanted to see her up close and in the air. Fighting on the ground was the opposite of that. Wonderful.

"Lock On: Level Four!" Hawks raised more feathers, bracing himself just as Seiko slid to the ground before him. "Fire!"

There was a resounding thrum, and Hawks winced when the feathers before him smoked out of commission. Now it was numbered.

Seiko flew back around him, smirking when she finally noticed that he didn't have enough feathers to safely return to the air. "Seventeen!"

Now the Pro-Hero was surprised, darting back just as Seiko's figure came soaring at him through the air. Blocking her punch with a wince, Hawks threw a swift kick at her side, the girl twisting her body into the air and sending a quick stream of light through her soles.

Another plume into smoke.

"Now it's fourteen, Hawks!"

Her eyes were narrowed in thought, meeting his determined gaze. The kid was counting him off. Guaranteed she knew that the feathers were key to stopping her attacks, and keeping her on her toes. Hawks refused to admit it, but the girl was nearly as fast as him with his feathers; Hawks wasn't sure if he could compete with her without them.

"Just admit I'm faster~!" She sang, raising both palms and sending a stronger beam at the man.

That damn Reading Quirk! Hawks huffed, picking up another small clump of feathers and sending them at a blinding speed to the girl. "Don't get all high and mighty, kid."