(45) when did this happen

"Oh? Where's Seiko-chan, kero?"

The voice of a groggy Tsuyu entered the bustling common room, her classmates mulling about either zoned out or silently chewing on their breakfasts. Ochako waved the frog over, absentmindedly turning the hero-licence in her hands.

"Something about going home for the day? Said she had to take care of some things at her home but would be back late tonight."

Tsuyu nodded, graciously taking a bowl of cereal. "But aren't her parents not around here, kero? She mentioned one day she lived alone."

She only shrugged, stretching her sore limbs with a grimace. "Probably a pet."

And, with nothing more than a nod, Tsuyu brushed the topic away, the class once more edging into their daily conversations.

*

Kurogiri didn't quite know how to react.

Seiko sat quietly across from him, her only sign of life being the slight tremble in her shoulders. Not once had the girl ever confided in him of the turmoil that was growing inside of her. He had no idea that the semblance of emotion had rooted itself in the girl.

She was the byproduct of an obsessive villain; emotional qualities were never included in the equation.

it was probably because i've been around those damn 1-A kids so much. Seiko rationalized, distraught as she wrung her hands together. this isn't normal. this shouldn't be happening.

"Ku-kun."

The villain glanced over at Seiko, humming softly. "Yes?"

"I didn't realize how scary it was."

She didn't need to continue after that.

Those who knew Seiko long enough knew well enough of her origins. Of the entire reason why her mind simply shut off those things called emotion. When those floodgates smashed open, she had no idea. One thing was certain, though: Seiko didn't like it one bit.

you know, number six. i always loved your eye~.

Her hand trailed over the right side of her face, gaze distant. The numbness settled in her gut, which left a cold chill running down her back. Sighing heavily, Seiko slumped deeper into the wood seat she was on, the furniture creaking under her shifting weight. Rubbing her face in frustration, she didn't bother to watch Kurogiri observe her carefully.

She was familiar with the feeling of doubt. She was familiar with the feeling of determination.

But she had forgotten about that feeling of fear.

it took me six tries! but now even those little Nomu can't compare to you~ my little specimen.

"Seiko." Kurogiri placed a glass of water on the counter, never failing to abandon his bartender-like behavior despite the temporary headquarters the duo was in.

She shuffled aimlessly to the table, taking the glass slowly. "...thank you."

There was a beat of silence, as if Kurogiri was carefully considering his next words.

Of course, he knew Seiko was in a sensitive state. Tomura was surely nowhere near, as the man had his own dealings to tend to. The rest of the Vanguard Squad were doing their best to remain out of the grid, the police force much too present and on the watch for them to be safe to sneak around. Kurogiri could practically feel the fragility of Seiko's condition, but he also knew the League needed to get back on their feet. They took loss after loss, and with All for One gone, the child was ultimately vulnerable.