(17) face off

*long chapter ya'll, here's a fair warning for the fun that will ensue:)

Weird glances were thrown their way when both Todoroki and Seiko entered the stands at the same time, no one willing enough to bring it up and instead bringing their attentions to the arena. The girl sat beside Shoji, who offered her a short glance and a shoulder pat, his main face still facing ahead.

"The first match!! Making a weird face despite his excellent performance, it's Izuku Midoriya from the hero course!!" Mic's voice exploded across the arena. "Versus—sorry, but this guy hasn't really done anything to stand out yet! It's Hitoshi Shinsou, from General Studies!!"

There were cheers scattered about the festival, the 1-A students excitedly watching along. Any other student who was bound to compete either were alit with anticipation, or relatively silent. Seiko clapped along with her classmates, missing Todoroki's intense stare when she was smiling along like nothing had happened.

"The rules are simple! Win by knocking your opponent out of the ring, immobilizing them or getting them to say 'I give up'! Brin the pain!! We've got our good old recovery girl on standby!! And fight dirty if you must! 'Ethics' have no meaning here!" There was a suspicious noise that sounded like a solid punch, followed by Mic's voice again. "Aha. Well, of course, going for the kill is a no-no!! You'll be disqualified, because a true hero's fists fly only when in pursuit of villains!!"

How lame. Seiko realized, crossing her legs and leaning forward. Of course, bring that into the limelight when it wasn't even mentioned. She loved it when they were stepped all over even when they weren't involved.

"Readyyy?! START!!"

It only took seconds for Midoriya to come running for Shinsou, screaming out angrily before his whole body froze. While there were exclamations of confusion across the board, Seiko shrugged dismissively. There went Izuku's victory.

"Mere seconds into the match, Midoriya's frozen in place!!" There was a ripple of shouts. "Looking confounded, he's not even twitching!! Could this be Shinsou's quirk?! We were barely aware this guy even existed, but now...he sure is one to keep an eye on!"

"Damn right," Seiko mumbled, still leaned onto her knees with an intense gaze.

"What's going on?..." Shoji questioned, seeing that the girl beside him knew what was happening.

"Shinsou has a brainwash quirk." Everyone gripped their seats in shock when Izuku turned right around and began to walk towards the ring's edge. "Seems like Midoriya-san isn't going to—"

There was a blast from the arena, smoke billowing everywhere and screams shooting through the stadium. 1-A looked across in shock, everyone blocking their faces from the blast of wind that followed the boom. When it settled, Izuku was heaving in his spot, mere inches away from the boundary. Seiko was stunned, eyes wide at the fact that Izuku snapped out of it with such force. His finger was disgustingly broken, but his glare was stronger than ever.

"...I'm jealous though! Just moving that finger must mean you're the real deal!!" Shinsou's voice cut through the screams, desperation beginning to appear in his face. "Thanks to my quirk's nature I couldn't enter the golden gates! You wouldn't get that, you're naturally blessed."

Izuku was sprinting forward, his lips closed firmly; his opponent's face grew angry, stepping forward along as well.

"You people...born with your awesome quirks, getting to follow all your dreams!!" Izuku slammed into Shinsou, throwing an arm at his chest; the boy only blocked, angrily punching Izuku's cheek. "Say something already!!"